Ian Mejia and Edwin Martinez-Pagani come in clutch in opening weekend series win

Juliana Trujillo

More stories from Juliana Trujillo

Opening weekend started for the New Mexico State Aggies Baseball squad with a three-day series against the University of Chicago Illinois Flames and won overall 3-2. In a long, ten-inning opening game, the Aggies were overtaken 8-3. They returned the favor and won the following two games 6-3 and 4-1. 

In the opening game, with junior Rorik Maltrud on the mound, the first inning started with three up and three down. The Flames got on the scoreboard first, in the top of the second, with strong line drives and smart base running, they scored three runs. NM State finally got in the groove when sophomore second baseman Kevin Jimenez got on base and junior center fielder Ryan Grabosch earned the RBI by bringing him in. 

The Aggies continued to trail the Flames until the ninth inning. Redshirt sophomore Preston Godfrey earned a double and scored with a throwing error by the opposing catcher. The effort continued when Grabosch drew a walk, and clutch pinch hitter redshirt junior Cal Villareal hit a double and earned the RBI that tied the game. 

Stealing back the momentum the Flames then went on a hitting spree off of junior Aggie pitcher Alex Bustamonte. By the time NM State had put a stop to the damage, UIC had already scored five runs putting the score at 8-3. With NM State unable to respond, the game ended in the bottom of the tenth. 

In the contest, Grabosch was the only Aggie to record multiple hits. Pitcher Rorik Maltrud recorded seven strikeouts and Blazek earned six. NMSU then reevaluated and headed into Saturday’s game. 

Saturday’s game showcased the prowess of the Aggies’ pitchers. Sophomores Sammy Natera and Pablo Cortes combined for a 19 strikeout game that finished with NMSU on top 6-3. Natera now leads the nation in strikeouts. 

The first four innings were pretty calm with Natera on the mound who only allowed for one hit. Both teams remained scoreless until NM State sophomore Logan Gallina earned his first home run as an Aggie with a shot over the right field fence.

The score remained 1-0 until the eighth inning where the Aggies continued to put runs on the board. Grabosch got on base with a single and sophomore Gunner Antilllon doubled, bringing in Grabosch. Junior Brandon Dieter continued the effort with another double and an RBI. With two walks, loaded bases, a ground out from Preston Godfrey and another single from Gallina, the Aggies were able to put five runs on the board, and put the score at 6-0. The Flames were able to scrape up three runs but the contest finished 6-3. NM State remained strong into the last game of the series. 

Finishing the series with a final 4-1, the Aggies took it due in part to a last minute switch to a pinch hitter in response to a pitching change, when junior Edwin Martinez-Pagani nailed a fastball over the fence in right center and brought in three runs. 

Maintaining their hot streak to start the game, the NM State pitchers continued to dominate as redshirt sophomore Ian Mejia started to retire batters. Eventually the offense started to contribute in the bottom of the third. Brandon Dieter used a single to get on base and advanced with a sacrifice bunt from Kevin Jimenez. In scoring position, Dieter was able to score with a Grabosch single to right field. 

The Flames responded the following inning earning their first run on the scoreboard. The Aggies then answered the run with the three-run blast from Martinez- Pagani in the bottom of the eighth. The remainder of the game continued scoreless and the Aggies moved to 2-1. 

— 

Head Coach Mike Kirby spoke on his team’s efforts and strong foundation. “That’s what we tell our guys–You’ve got to put in a lot of work, and we like to represent our state,” Kirby said. “There’s a lot of grinders here, man, a lot of good people that work really hard, and we’re just trying to keep up with them,” he finished. 

The Aggies hope to build on their momentum in their next series against Oakland University. The teams will face off at NMSU’s Presley Askew Field on Friday Feb. 25 at 3 p.m., followed by Saturday’s game at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m.