Aggie softball 3-0 against I-25 rival

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

For the third time this season, New Mexico State softball claimed victory in the Battle of I-25 against the University of New Mexico Lobos. The 4-3 victory yielded the Aggies fourth straight win and the Lobos 11th consecutive loss. The Aggies now rise to 25-17 overall, 10-5 in Conference USA, with a third place standing right behind Western Kentucky and Liberty University.   

The Aggies quickly found their way on base with a leadoff walk from senior Jillian Taylor who eventually made her way to second. Two batters later, Conference USA Player of the Week sophomore Devin Elam stepped up and ripped a shot to left center plating Taylor, but was tagged after attempting to pull a double. Despite the out, the Aggies still secured a 1-0 lead in the top of the first.  

With steadfast pitching on both sides, neither team managed to touch home for the next four innings. The Aggies only collected two hits during the four-inning stretch while the Lobos tacked on three.  

Finally in the top of the sixth, the Aggies took advantage of a Lobo throwing error and returned to their aggressive prowess. After senior Jayleen Burton reached second on the first error, senior Jessica Carreon brought her home with a sacrifice bunt aided by another Lobo error. With the 2-0 lead, the Aggies were in a solid position to take the game, but the Lobos would not go down without a fight.  

In the bottom half, the Lobos found their groove and returned the favor to tie the game. After a single down the left field line, Keyannah Chavez stepped up and blasted a two-run home run over the left field fence. With one last opportunity to pull ahead, the Aggies desperately needed to piece together a run in the last inning.  

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

Rising to the occasion, the Aggies quickly put runners on first and second following two singles from Taylor and freshman Desirae Spearman. With junior Dezianna Patmon up next, the Aggies had the opportunity to take the lead. Patmon delivered for her teammates, drilling a double to right field bringing home both runners. Despite great effort throughout the rest of the inning, the Aggies failed to tack onto their lead and needed a resilient defense to take home the win. 

Once again, the Lobos contested and put runners in scoring position. The Lobos started to chip away at their deficit with a single from Sydney Carithers, which brought the score 4-3. Thanks to steadfast defense and pitching from junior Jaileen Mancha, the Aggies secured three outs before the Lobos could tie the game. With a 4-3 victory, the Aggies swept the Lobos (3-0) over the duration of the season.  

Riding their four-game win streak, the Aggies will now travel to the east coast to battle against the conference leaders, the Liberty University Flames. The first pitch is set for Friday, April 19, at 4 p.m., followed by Saturday at noon and concluded Sunday at 9 a.m. All updates will be posted on the official NMSU Athletics website.