NM State softball tallies 2-1 series win in the Battle of I-10

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

For the first time, New Mexico State softball battled against the University of Texas at El Paso Miners in a conference matchup in their inaugural season into Conference USA. In the always-anticipated Battle of I-10, the Aggies began the series with a seemingly easy 9-1 triumph in five innings, but the Miners rallied to outscore the Aggies in the second contest 12-10. The Aggies brought home the 2-1 series victory after a crucial home run from freshman Desirae Spearman in game three to secure the 3-2 win. The Aggies now move up to 16-12 overall and 6-3 in conference play.  

The Aggies hit the field with Spearman in the circle, who returned after missing 13 games while healing from an injury. Riding their momentum from the previous game, the Miners remained hot in the batter’s box, got runners into scoring position and plated two runs for an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first.  

After steady defense on both sides, the Aggies saw relief after Spearman grounded out to the second baseman while senior Jessica Carreon touched home. Still trailing by one, Spearman held it down in the circle, recording two strikeouts to bring her team back up to the plate.   

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

Continuing their offensive effort, the Aggies got back on base and tied the game at two a piece in the bottom of the fourth after a shot from senior Jayleen Burton to left field. After stumping the Miners in the following innings, the Aggies grabbed the lead with a single-home run blast from Spearman over the right field fence.  

After boosting her team on the scoreboard, Spearman rose to the occasion in the circle and struck out three batters in the sixth and secured the final out with a strikeout to end the game after seven innings. After her 12-strikeout game, Spearman now sits at a 4-0 record with 37 strikeouts and a 0.23 ERA.  

Following the match, head coach Kathy Rodolph expressed her pleasure with her team’s enduring performance against UTEP.  

“Our team won decisively on Friday,” coach Rodolph said. “We have won 28 out [of the] last 33 contests [against] UTEP—I would think that is the best record of any NMSU team. Plus, our mindset is strong and we believe in ourselves. We fought very hard, even in the loss.”  

Coach Rodolph continued to share the importance of herself and her team remaining the moment and taking on each challenge as it comes.  

The Aggies will remain at home for another rivalry matchup in the Battle of I-25 against the University of New Mexico Lobos. The double header is set to begin on Tuesday, March 26 at 4 p.m. followed by 6:30 p.m. The back-to-back games will be streamed on ESPN+.