Aggies pull off second win over a Power Five opponent

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

In the final day of the ASU/GCU Classic, New Mexico State softball, backed with senior Emily Dix in the circle, dug deep in the seventh inning to secure three more runs for a 10-8 win over the Arizona State Sundevils. The victory marks the Aggies’ second win over a Power Five opponent this season and the program’s tenth win over ASU. Previously in the tournament, the Aggies grabbed a 4-1 win over Grand Canyon, but fell to Utah Valley (6-4), Seton Hall (4-2) and Ohio State (0-10) to sit at an overall 9-5 record.  

The Aggies quickly made their presence known in the top of the first, getting several batters on base. With a pop fly from redshirt senior Kristen Boyd and a wild pitch, the Aggies brought in two runs to grab an early lead. Without wasting any time, the Sundevils returned the favor with back-to-back triples to tie the game at 2-2.  

With the Aggies unable to tack on any runs in the second and third innings, the Sundevils rose to the occasion. Yannixa Acuña nailed a two-run homerun over the right field fence in the second inning followed by an RBI double in the third to grab a 5-2 lead for the Sundevils.  

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

Thanks to some swift base running from junior Dezianna Patmon, the Aggies pieced together a run to help lessen their deficit. Despite an additional Sundevil run in the bottom of the fourth, the Aggies still appeared poised and ready to swing.   

Off a pitch right down the middle, Patmon blasted a three-run homerun to tie the game at six a piece. Unfazed, the Sundevils turned around and posted an RBI triple to regain the lead in the bottom of the fifth.  

Returning the favor almost immediately, sophomore Kendal Lunar added another home run for her team, and her fourth this season, to tie the game at 7-7 in the top of the sixth. Providing some much-needed relief, Dix held it down on the pitching, front handing the Sundevils their first scoreless inning in the bottom half.  

The Aggies let their offensive prowess shine in the final inning after hits from Patmon, Boyd, and senior Jayleen Burton gave them a comfortable 10-7 lead. The Sundevils managed to post one more run before a crucial defensive play from Burton caught a base runner at third for the final out. Dix recorded the 10-8 win for a nice ending to the tournament.  

Moving ahead, the Aggies will remain on the road and travel to Lubbock, Texas for the Jeannine McHaney Memorial Classic. Competition will kick off bright and early against Merrimack College on Friday, March 1 at 8 a.m., followed by Texas State at 6 p.m. After two more contests, the Aggies will conclude the tournament against Texas Tech on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. All updates will be posted on the official NMSU Athletics website.