Lobos prove too much for Aggie Softball in Battle of I-25

Juliana Trujillo

More stories from Juliana Trujillo

The Battle of I-25 win streak came to a close when the New Mexico State Aggies fell to the University of New Mexico Lobos, 13-4, starting in the sixth inning with a blow out of the scoreboard by the Bos’.

Freshman Jordin King started on the mound for the Aggies but UNM came out seeking retribution. The Lobos got on the scoreboard quickly in the first, when Ashley Archuleta brought in Peyton Robinson who got on base with a triple to right field. NM State took advantage of their opponents early fielding errors and sophomore Madison Muxen earned her team’s first run with a single that scored Ramsay Lopez. 

King started strong in the second and earned her 32nd strikeout of the season. However, both teams came out swinging in the third. 

With calculated base running, the Lobos loaded the bases when Leslie Romero hit a deep ball that cleared the bases. Romero put UNM on top 4-1. 

Once again, though, the Aggies dug deep and tied the game back up. Sophomore Jillian Taylor came up to bat and boosted her hitting streak to 11 games when she hit a single up the middle to get the momentum rolling. Redshirt sophomore Maya Martinez then brought in Taylor with a shot to the right-center gap to earn her 21st RBI of the season. Then to tie up the game, senior Kayla Bowen slammed a home run over the left field fence. 

With a combined effort from King and Bowen, the Lobo offense was three up and three down to start the fourth inning. UNM returned the favor with Indiana transfer Amber Linton on the mound. She proved to be troublesome for the Aggies for the rest of the game.

To turn the tables yet again, UNM got two of its first three batters on base. The runners advanced with a ground out, when Robinson saw an opportunity and stole home to put the Lobos up 6-4. Riding the momentum, Romero came into the box and nailed a three-run home run to pull ahead with a five run lead. 

The bottom of the sixth was short with, once again, only three Aggie hitters as Linton threw nine, straight strikes. 

In the final inning, the Lobos chose to bring in their bench with their first four batters being pinch hitters. With two previous walks, Savannah Braun came up to plate and hit a three-run blast to put the Lobos up 12-4. To continue the offensive effort, UNM added one more run with an RBI from Taryn Young. 

Continuing to battle, however, redshirt sophomore Gabby Aragon started the Aggies last chance with a single up the middle that turned into a double off a wild throw. After Martinez drew a walk, NM State had a runner in scoring position but couldn’t overcome Linton and the contest finished 13-4. The Lobos earned their first win in the Battle of I-25 since 2018.

Despite the loss, Head Coach Kathy Rodolph is confident in her young, starting pitcher. “I believe that Jordin King is going to be a very talented pitcher here and her name is going to be remembered a lot over her career,” Rololph said. 

NM State will now hit the road in their three-game series against California Baptist. The first pitch of Friday’s doubleheader is set for 5 p.m., followed by Saturday at 6 p.m.