Celebrating fifty years of KRWG-TV

David Castañeda
Emily Guerra, host of Fiesta on KRWG, reads “Daniel Tiger” to a group of children on Sept. 29, 2023.

KRWG-TV celebrated its 50th anniversary on Saturday, September 30 by inviting the community to an open house in Milton Hall. Since KRWG is partnered with PBS Kids, there were appearances from fan favorite characters like Nature Cat and Daniel Tiger, book readings, coloring, and a full tour of the News22 production studio.  

Adrian Velarde, an alumnus of New Mexico State University and the general manager for KRWG Public Media for the past 14 years, organized the event and talked about his journey within the organization. 

“Working here and being in the role that I’m in holds a special meaning for me because I worked here as a student,” Velarde said.  

KRWG first went on the air back in June of 1973, and has served the greater southern New Mexico and western Texas community ever since. KRWG’s status as a PBS affiliate reflects the “educational mission” at NMSU, which is to provide not only educational programs for children, but also for “lifelong learners”. 

“We’re a proud PBS affiliate,” he said. “I think, you know, that the programs that we produce really resonate with the community.”

Guests of the KRWG open house had the chance to get some pictures with some of PBS’ most popular mascots. Sept. 29, 2023. (David Castañeda)

Kienna Rodriguez, a student intern who has been with the station for three years and has worked in many different aspects of the station, discussed how important this event was for community outreach.  

“I think that this is a really great community experience for people and organizations to come together and show that they are trying to support individual families,” Rodriguez said. 

Students serve an integral role in the operation of KRWG as a whole and can gain relevant work experience in not only television production, but also being on television as anchors.  

Rodriguez talked about how her experience working at KRWG has impacted her life and her career.  

“KRWG has given me a lot of opportunities to grow,” Rodriguez said. “I never would have expected to work in a place like this.”  

The event had an excellent turnout, with a multitude of different families, students, and community members showing their support and appreciation for KRWG.  

David and Becky Martin, along with their twin boys, Teddy and Benny, attended the event so they could see their favorite PBS characters and engage with one of their favorite news stations. 

“PBS is our go to when we show the kids anything in the morning,” David Martin said. “I feel like a lot of the shows teach curiosity and how to regulate your emotions.”  

Families were given a tour of the KRWG and News22 studio while at the KRWG and PBS open house. Sept. 29, 2023. (David Castañeda)

Teddy’s favorite show is “Work It Out Wombats!” and Benny’s is “Daniel Tiger”, who they were able to snap a photo with at the event. 

Diego Romero and Christian Rodriguez, students at Arrowhead Park Early College High School, came to support their friends at KRWG and to see Daniel Tiger. They grew up on PBS and some of their favorite shows include “Super Why!” and “Wild Kratts”.   

Having achieved such a huge milestone, KRWG has shown its commitment to excellence and community service with its programming over the years. Hosting the open house event gave the community an opportunity to show love back to the station.  

“We’re really grateful for the community support that we’ve received over the past 50 years,” Velarde said. “And we’re looking forward to the next 50 years.”