Las Cruces celebrates LGBT+ community with Pride 

Adeline Triplett
Members of the Las Cruces community gathered downtown with various LGBT+ flags to celebrate their pride. Oct. 7, 2023.

Rainbow flags, clothing and banners covered the Plaza De Las Cruces on Saturday, October 7 as New Mexican LGBT+ groups came together in celebration. 

Community members from all over southern New Mexico gathered to participate in and watch Las Cruces’ first annual Pride Parade, followed by Southern New Mexico Pride. After the parade, vendors both sold and gave away goods, with groups such as Planned Parenthood and Amador Health Center tabling. Later in the evening, guests enjoyed live music, followed by a drag show on the plaza stage. 

Not only was this the city’s first parade, but it welcomed the biggest crowd many had ever seen show up for Las Cruces Pride. 

“When we turned the corner and just saw how many people were watching the parade, I was totally floored,” said Lore Falls, program coordinator for New Mexico State University’s LGBT+ Programs. “There’s always a lot of people out here for Pride on the plaza, but it feels bigger this year in terms of attendance, in terms of the programming, in terms of the production, like the drag show this evening is going to be absolutely massive. Every year that I’ve been to has been bigger and better.” 

Saturday’s Pride welcomed not only returning community members like Falls, but drew many first-time guests, as well. One attendee, Fern Adams, said that they were struck with how sweet and friendly everyone was. For them, Las Cruces having its own pride was a demonstration of being loved for who they are.  

Drag performer shows their support during the pride parade. Oct. 7, 2023. (Adeline Triplett)

“It’s having a safe space and community that we know we can be embraced and accepted by at all times,” Adams said. 

In fact, according to several t-shirts and booths at Pride, New Mexico is currently the safest state for LGBT+ people. Whether due to the feeling of security or simply the desire to celebrate, there was no shortage of volunteers to participate in the parade. 

“We had several students who marched with us in the parade tonight, this was their first Pride event ever,” Falls said. “There’s just something very magical about that. Because I’ve been going to Pride events for years, but to be here, and to have students experience it for the first time ever, the first time we’ve had a parade here in town was probably one of the peak memories of this semester so far.” 

Students were not the only groups represented in the festivities. Many Las Cruces community members not only tabled and attended the event but marched in the parade themselves in support and celebration of the LGBT+ community.  

“This is what community looks like,” Dae Romero said. “And this is what Pride can be if we continue to celebrate queerness and diversity. It’s a beautiful event, and I’m very honored to be part of it.” 

As part of Pride’s Royalty Court, Romero was recognized as a pioneer for their work with equity and inclusive pedagogy as a professor at NMSU. They believe having Pride in Las Cruces is meaningful not only for representation, but to show students that they’re not alone. 

“Collaboration can bring beautiful things together and create happiness and inclusivity because it’s really not that hard to do that,” Romero said. “It’s just they have to put in the effort, you know, but I think NMSU is on the right track with a lot of the programs that they have going on. I’ve seen a lot more collaborations between the diversity programs, which really makes me happy.”

NMSU’s LGBT+ Programs will continue to celebrate pride and its members throughout the month of October in what they refer to as “OUTober”. Oct. 7, 2023. (Adeline Triplett)

The celebration of NMSU’s LGBT+ community is continuing after the Pride parade, with “OUTober” events all month long. Students can look forward to the Cosplay & Anime Convention on October 18th, followed by the Halloween Drag show on the 25th. Visit LGBT+ Programs for more information.