Aggie swim and dive goes 1-1 in dual meets in Texas

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

In a two-part dual meet, the New Mexico State University swim and dive team first faced the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs but only posted 56 points compared to TCU’s 185. The Aggies returned to the road against the University of North Texas Mean Green and pulled through a 157-142 win.  

The first event of day one was the 400-yard medley relay with the Aggie dream team of freshmen Emily Dobbins and Taylor Craft, senior Lindsay Puhalski, and sophomore Dreamer Kowatch placing third. In event two, sophomore Katie Rink landed another third place finish in the 1000-freestyle. 

Throughout the meet, the Aggies continuously placed third with few expections as they were unable to land a spot on the podium in the 200-butterfly and 200-backstroke. Making up for the lost points, Dobbins secured the first second place title in the 50-freestyle after just barely falling behind TCU’s Olivia Rhodes. Rink continued the effort and clinched second in the 500-freestyle followed by Naomi Slee in third.  

In the diving category, fifth-year Italia Aranzabal snatched second in both the 3-meter and 1-meter dives while freshman Mira Tinai pulled third place in both events as well. 

Rounding out the meet was the 400-freestyle relay where the Aggies pulled out one last third place finish with Rink leading the charge followed by Slee, junior Elizabeth Cervantes- Vanderlugt and Craft. 

The Aggies then traveled to Denton, Texas to take on the Mean Green of the University of North Texas for part two of their Texas Duals where the Aggies forgot about their previous loss and squeezed out the win with 157 points to UNT’s 142. 

The victorios meet began with the Mean Green taking the 200-medly with 11 points but the Aggies trailed right behind grabbing six points with second and third place finishes. In second was the powerhouse ensemble Dobbins, Craft, Puhalski and Rink followed by sophomores Thea Masselink, Faye McDonaugh, Puhalski and freshman Kodi Winman.  

The Aggies obliterated the Mean Green’s five point lead in the second event after Slee picked up nine points with a first place finish in the 1000-freestyle followed by sophomore Estel Galo in second with four points.  

Riding their momentum, the Aggies dominated in the 200-free stacking the podium with Canadians Rink and Pulahski in first and second and sophomore Dreamer Kowatch in third.  

The Mean Green retaliated in the 100-backstroke taking the event but Dobbins and sophomore Jamie Puhalski nabbed second and third place. Similarly, the Mean Green took the 100-breaststroke but the Aggies followed right behind.  

The Aggies almost saw another first place finish in the 200-butterfly, by Galo just narrowly swam into second place. In the 50-free, Rink was again the only Aggie on the podium landing a blank place but Slee and junior Elizabeth Cervantes-Vanderlugt were just a touch behind. 

In diving, the Aggies faced their stiffest competition yet with only Aranzabel placing third in the 3-meter dive and Tinai also only placing third in the 1-meter dive event. 

Bringing in her second first place finish of the meet, Slee captured the 200-yard backstroke with Masselink taking. Then in the 500-freestyle, Cave Creek native Rink pulled her second victory of the meet while Galo collected a third place finish. In the final event of the meet, the 200-free relay, Aggie dreamteam returned featuring Dobbins, L. Puhalski, Kowatch, and Rink who secured a major first place finish for the final 157 point win.  

The Aggies will remain on the road and travel to Albuquerque to face their 1-25 rival, the University of New Mexico Lobos on Saturday, Nov. 11.