Former men’s basketball players come forward with new lawsuits

New Mexico State Athletics logo. (Image from the Las Cruces Sun-News)

Another lawsuit was filed with the district court on Monday, Nov. 6 against New Mexico State University, Athletic Director Mario Moccia, former coaches Greg Heiar and Dominique Taylor, and former players Kim Aiken Jr., Doctor Bradley, and Deshawndre Washington.   

The three former players have already been indicted on numerous charges earlier this year when another lawsuit was filed by former players Shakiru Odunewu and Deuce Benjamin back in April 2023 and ended up being settled by the university for an $8 million payout.   

Kyle Feit was the only one of the three plaintiffs whose name was used, with the other two remaining anonymous.  

The suit alleges that in addition to sexual assault, guns were also touted in the team’s locker room, around campus, and were taken on team trips.  

No players from the 2022-2023 season are present under newly appointed Head Coach Jason Hooten. The same goes for last season’s coaching staff who were either relieved of their positions or left the program. However, Moccia received not only a five-year contract extension, but a raise of $72,000.  

The new suits brought up the previous controversies with the NMSU Men’s Basketball Team such as the sexual assault lawsuits and the gun violence issues surrounding the team after the incident involving former player Mike Peake in Albuquerque. 

NMSU Sophomore Montgomery Taylor discussed how the program has tried to move forward. 

“It’s something the university, the students, and of course, NMSU Athletics have had to deal with,” Taylor said. “They had to cut some bad apples and kind of clear their reputation.”  

In light of these issues, the Aggies’ season will continue with their next game against the Western New Mexico University Mustangs on Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2023.

This is a developing story.