Aggies fall to the Lobos despite 20 points from Lucía Yenes

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

In the first Battle of I-25 matchup of the season for the New Mexico State University women’s basketball team, the Aggies were defeated by the University of New Mexico Lobos by a final score of 67-52 despite shooting better outside the arc and sophomore forward Lucía Yenes posting 20 points.  

Starting off the game, both teams played a dominant defense forcing off target shots to retrieve rebounds off the board. After 23 combined missed field goals and 10 turnovers, neither side had yet to make a statement. With two minutes of the quarter remaining, UNM’s Nyah Wilson gave her team a one-point lead after draining a field goal attempt in the paint. The Aggies sought to retake the lead, but it was still any team’s game as UNM led 7-6 heading into the second quarter.  

After a missed Kaiser jumper to start the second quarter, UNM’s Paul Reus rebounded the ball and took it down the court where she found teammate Lara Langermann for the three-point attempt to take the lead by four points. Yenes quickly retaliated after nailing her own three to narrow the deficit by one. After an assist from junior guard Sylena Peterson, Yenes drained another three to tie the game at 12 each. In the last few minutes of the half, the Lobos took advantage of multiple scoring possessions after jumpers from Paula Reus and Charlotte Kohl to take an eight-point lead. The Lobos led 27-19 heading into the half and would retain the lead for the remainder of the game.  

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

Kohl quickly got the scoring started for the Lobos in the third quarter to extend their lead. After a Molly Kaiser foul, UNM’s Nyah Wilson drained two free throws to extend the lead by 10. Seconds later, UNM’s Aniyah Augmon stole the ball from Sylena Peterson to put another two points on the board. With multiple turnovers in the game, the Lobos secured 16 points off turnovers alone. Just when the Aggies were about to flip the momentum, Paula Reus took a layup into the paint to keep the Lobos in control 44-36 to end the third quarter.

Going into the final quarter of play, the Aggies had one last chance to decrease the eight-point deficit. With UNM’s Aniyah Augmon, Paula Reus and Nyah Wilson on the court, the Aggies didn’t stand a chance. Despite multiple Molly Kaiser and Sylena Harding attempts, the Lobos put the game away with a 67-52 victory.  

“I just think it became a battle in the paint and on the offense boards,” said head coach Jody Adams about the tough loss. “When you give up 15 [second chance] points in there and they out-rebound the way they do, it just becomes a battle of the paint. We did not win that battle. I’ll give their young women credit for the way they played and stuck with their game plan.”  

The Aggies still put forth a great effort with 20 points coming from Lucia followed by senior Ene Adam’s 11 points, and Kaiser and Peterson’s five each. Adams led in rebounds with seven with Lucia right behind her with six.  

The Aggies now sit at a 4-4 record and, after falling to UC Irvin, will remain at home to face Western New Mexico on Tuesday Dec. 12 at 5 p.m. Coverage will be streamed on ESPN+.