Letter to the Editor: ASNMSU, “a breeding ground for members of fraternities and sororities”

David Castañeda
ASNMSU Vice President Eduardo Gallegos III presents his updates to the senate at a meeting during the fall semester. Nov. 9, 2023.

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in this article belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to The Round Up or any other organization, group, or individual. 

As a former student leader who has collaborated extensively with ASNMSU and several important NMSU administrators and offices, I strongly and sincerely echo Senator Duran’s concerns. In the 5 years or so that I have spent at NMSU, ASNMSU has always been a breeding ground for members of fraternities and sororities. During my meetings with the executive team for different committees, Greek life always gets priority and preferential treatment. If someone is running for elections and they are prominent within their fraternity or sorority, it is very likely that they will win. Word spreads much faster within Greek life organizations. In fact, if ASNMSU were to go back and check who the voters were, I’m confident that 90% of the undergraduate voters would be affiliated with a Greek life organization. Several members of the executive team have revealed to me, albeit in confidentiality, that they have their position strictly because of their affiliation with a frat or sorority. In fact, the same formula was applied when, until recently, a major section of the senate was dominated by students of a particular faith who also happened to be from the same extended family and their parents at NMSU.

The domination by fraternities and sororities also extends to the College Councils, and it is very unfortunate that NMSU, an HSI/MSI, has become a seat where white or white-passing Christian people have access to all the seats of power while people who actually are worthy or need and deserve the support barely even learn about it. ASNMSU also needs to be much better when it comes to communication. ASNMSU clearly does not have open meetings regulations, and has, on multiple occasions, not addressed in public several concerns. For example: ASNMSU has not publicly discussed why the Finance Chair was removed, and a new person was elected without notice to its constituency. During President Herndon’s term, the senate had run out of funds around March 2023, and till date, to the best of my knowledge, there hasn’t been a clear report of why that happened. ASNMSU needs to be thoroughly audited.

ASNMSU needs to do better. ASNMSU needs to be better. The preferential treatment towards fraternities and sororities has to stop. Greek life is important for the undergraduate population as there are several opportunities for professional and personal development. However, it is also ridiculous that these organizations are running the university. Either this has to stop, or ASNMSU should stop claiming funds from “student fees”, a pool of funds that several first-gen students with less than ideal financial conditions contribute to, but only leads to the betterment of a select few. If any actions aren’t taken, and this resolution isn’t addressed, the 2024-25 election cycle will also be dominated by Greek life members, and merit will take a back seat to the aristocracy created by the Greek life organizations.

View Comments (6)