Aggies defeated 15-5 by the Liberty Flames in game two of three

Sophomore+Mitch+Namie+getting+ready+to+catch+the+ball+against+Liberty.+April+5%2C+2024.+
Carlos Herrera
Sophomore Mitch Namie getting ready to catch the ball against Liberty. April 5, 2024.

On the second day of a three-game series against the Liberty Flames, New Mexico State baseball suffered its fifth consecutive loss, and their twelfth in the last 14 games. The Aggies struggled to combat the Flames offense, giving up seven home runs and 14 RBI’s, resulting in a 15-5 victory for the Flames. The Aggies retaliated in the final game with an 8-6 victory but lost the series 2-1. After the conclusion of Sunday’s game, the Aggies remain in eighth place in the Conference USA standings. 

The Flames were quick to get on base in the top of the first as Tanner Marsh hit a double to center field. After drawing a walk and scoring a run on a fielding error, Todd Hudson continued the offensive effort with a deep shot to center field for an RBI triple for an early 2-0 lead.  

After a stellar offense, the Flames defense quickly got the job done and retired three Aggie batters before continuing their dominance in the top of the second. Riding their momentum from the previous inning, the Flames scored their third run of the game off a solo home run from Brayden Horton but left one runner on base at the end of the inning.  

Aggie getting ready to bat against Liberty. April 5, 2024. (Carlos Herrera)

Despite a great defensive start, the Flames struggled to retire the Aggies in the bottom half without giving up a run. With runners on second and third, junior Sheehan O’Connor hit a sacrifice bunt for an RBI to give the Aggies their first run of the game.  

Switching sides, the Aggies’ defense wasted no time getting off the field after quickly retiring three Flame batters.  

Re-initiating their stellar play, the Flames picked up where they left off in the top of the fifth inning. After the Aggies picked up two outs, Cam Foster singled up the middle, with Camden Troyer nailing the Flames’ third home run of the game to extend their lead to six runs. 

Despite their deficit, the Aggies belted out a massive four-run inning to make it a two-run game. With a runner on third base, outfielder Damone Hale doubled to center field while catcher Nick Gore finalized the inning with a three-run bomb over center field to make it 7-5 with the Flames just barely in the lead. 

Aggie catcher singing to “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks. (Carlos Herrera)

After allowing the Aggies to get within two, the Flames put on a show by knocking out three home runs in a single inning. Tanner Marsh hit the first home run over right field to extend their lead. Following an RBI single from Todd Hudson that loaded up the bases, Brian McClellin blasted a grand slam to put the Flames up by nine runs. Being one run away from the mercy rule being implied, Brayden Horton made it a 10-run game with a solo home run. Unable to piece together any runs in the bottom of the seventh, the Aggies suffered the 15-5 loss.  

After the Battle of I-25 matchup against the University of New Mexico Lobos on Tuesday, the Aggies will now travel to Murfreesboro, Tennessee for a three-game series against Middle Tennessee State University starting Friday, April 12 and concluding on Sunday, April 14. The games will be streamed on ESPN+.