Aggie baseball almost pulls off 10-run comeback against FIU

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

On the first day of a weekend series opener against the Florida International Panthers, the Aggies trailed the Panthers by 10 runs after three innings but managed to storm back. Despite rallying from a 10-0 deficit, the Aggies could not close out the Panthers and fell 13-11 in extra innings. The Aggies currently sit in the 7th seed of the Conference USA Standings and look to avoid falling below the eighth spot with under a month left to play. 

The Panthers got it going early with four straight hits that brought in two runs. After allowing two runs to score, the Aggies managed to retire the next two batters. The Aggies attempted to respond to the Panthers’ hot start but failed to retaliate after the first three batters grounded out to end the first inning.  

Riding their momentum from the first inning, the Panthers were quick to get on base. Brendan Roney singled out to center field for a base hit while Chase Engelhard helped with a hit to a right center field for a double to put runners on second and third base. After a strikeout and a walk, Ryne Guida grounded out, but gained an RBI after Brendan Roney crossed home plate to give the Panthers a 3-0 lead. 

The Panthers’ defense was quick to get off the field after getting three outs to end the second inning. Going to the top of the third, the Panthers showcased a huge offensive display hitting three home runs and several base hits that brought in seven runs to take a commanding 10-0 lead. 

After giving up 10 runs in the first three innings, the Aggies offense slowly started to find their groove. A throwing error led to the Aggies scoring two unearned runs, and the third run scored off a single from senior Nick Gore singling to right field that brought junior Titus Dumitru across the plate to end the inning.  

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

After three scoreless innings, the Aggies had a monster inning that started with a two-run home run from Dumitru to cut the lead in half. Senior Edwin Martinez-Pagani kept the offensive show going with a bases clearing double down the left field line to end the inning with the Aggies down by only two runs.  

Following the Aggies five-run inning, both teams went on a scoring drought until the bottom of the seventh. The Aggies, with all the momentum on their side, managed to tie the game when Martinez-Pagani nailed a two-run RBI double to center field, giving the Aggies their first lead of the game after crossing home plate.  

Despite giving up 11 unanswered runs, the Panthers tied the game in the eighth inning. Following two base hits, Austin Dearing earned another base hit that brought in the tying run. 

Going into extra innings, both teams remained scoreless in the tenth, forcing another inning. The Panthers came in clutch and tallied two runs off a single from Roylan Quevedo. The Panthers offense came off the field while the defense managed to retire three Aggie batters to end in the game in the eleventh 13-11.  

As for the rest of the series, the Aggies battled but came up short in the second game 18-12 and suffered being swept after an 18-6 loss in the final game.   

The Aggies will now travel to Jacksonville, Alabama to face Jacksonville State in a three-game series starting Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m. followed by Saturday at 5 p.m. and ending Sunday, April 14 at noon. All games will be streamed on ESPN+.