Put down that book and hop on a plane with AGGIES GO GLOBAL

Courtney Beck, Staff Writer

New Mexico State University is not only providing education for students here in Las Cruces, but now world wide. Aggies have the opportunity to travel abroad and make a difference in the world through the organization, Aggies Go Global (AGG).

Study abroad gives students the opportunity to travel the world, learn new techniques, and gain worldly experiences that could not be found here in the states. According to the organization, over 500 NMSU students have traveled to more than 60 Countries on 6 Continents through the program since 2009.

Who studies abroad?

It does not matter what college or field of study a student is involved in. All colleges and degrees can be studied abroad. Last year, all collages were represented with students traveling to various countries. Professors from the colleges will usually lead teams of students on expeditions to foreign countries and help to aid the learning and development of students global education.

When asked about what kind of expeditions and learning opportunities students gain while traveling abroad, Gary R. Lowe, director of AGG, says, ” A group of music students (string instruments) who were competitively chosen as participants in an international music festival held in Aruba. Then a group of dance students (Flamenco) lead by Prof. Frank “Paco” Gilpin, who performed and trained in Spain.”

Students from all colleges are able to study abroad and gain knowledge that they may have not been able to acquire in the states alone. One example of this kind of study was when students from AG Econ lead by Dr. Jay Lillywhite, participated and competed in an international conference in Denmark.

“We conducted a UBELONG Portugal Expedition co-lead by Prof. Lucy Zollner (Foreign Languages/Portuguese and Gary Lowe, AGG) focusing on the continued impact of the worldwide economic crisis.

Lowe stated that in recent years, “a group of CMI students assisted Professor Ilana Lapid in the production of a wildlife documentary film. In addition, AGG partnered with Dr. Miriam Chaiken and the Honors College to supplement their summer international travel award by assisting two students, in addition to the award recipient, pursue and further their research/honors proposals in the countries of Greece and Haiti.”

Affording study abroad

According to the organization’s website, “AGGIES GO GLOBAL provides advising and financial support to NMSU students seeking non-credit international experiences outside the classroom.” AGG provides students with the ability to:

• create independent projects that defy traditional boundaries or classifications
  • conduct research for a project
  • assist with non-credit internship opportunities

Where does AGG travel to?

Students involved in Aggies Go Global have the freedom to travel to any of the following countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Austria
  • Bangla Desh
  • Belize
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Columbia
  • Costa Rica
  • Denmark
  • Ecuador
  • England
  • Fiji
  • Germany
  • Ghana
  • Greece
  • Haiti
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Morocco
  • Peru
  • Portugal
  • Serbia
  • South Africa
  • Spain
  • Sri Lanka
  • Switzerland

Whether it is a semester, summer, or year long study, students can gain a broader, higher level of education by merely leaving the comforts of home and traveling the world.

For further information about the program, students can contact:

Gary R. Lowe, Ph.D.
Coordinator
Office: (575) 646-7962
Gerald Thomas 200