The Art of Tabling

Tabling season at New Mexico State is well underway – bringing with out an entirely new crop of students and long standing organizations that wish to communicate their message to campus. These tables are set out, typically teeming with free treats and information pamphlets with one obvious goal in mind, recruitment. Whether its incoming freshmen or seniors finishing their undergraduate and beyond, these organizations are looking for the involvement of the student body here at New Mexico State University to help not only further their goals, but to expand the extracurricular experiences the average college student may not receive otherwise.

Table-ing is a means for these organizations to reach out to the student body during the school day, which effectively maximizes their outreach and possible recruitment. There are the sororities and fraternities preparing for Rush Week on campus and many other school organizations and clubs, however, all of these organizations put the experience and wellbeing of the student first, universally stating their dedication to the students they serve.

Associate Director Michelle Saenz-Adames, Ph.D. of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management promoted the advantages and resources of the Student Success Center by table-ing and stated “Table-ing throughout the school year is an important way to reach out to students that might not have known about our services otherwise.” She also stated that without table-ing “Student involvement around campus would suffer which would then lead to certain aspects of campus life suffering as well.” A similar message came from Greek Life and other sororities and fraternities on campus describing that through table-ing they had been better able to reach out and communicate to students about their particular message and goals.

New Mexico State University is a school that values education, but more importantly, it’s a school that values exploration and the expression of self that comes with education.

“You’re here for school, but what else?” was a question posed by Campus Activities employee, Traci Escajeda, as a means verifying the importance of table-ing who also stated that “without table-ing (or at least visiting tables) students won’t be able to see what’s out there for them.” College by design is meant to be explorative and a time of uncertainty and what better way to indulge this then by stopping by a few tables and asking what they’re about. Keep Traci’s question in mind, “you’re here for school, but what else?”