ASNMSU Senate Election Process Begins

The process of potential candidates for students to represent their college in the ASNMSU Senate has begun. In the coming months, students will make their way to the polls to choose their senators for the next term.

Elections occur twice an academic school year –  once in the fall, and once in the spring.  During the fall election cycle, it is only Senate seats that are up for elections.  The spring semester has more electoral opportunities such as the offices of President and Vice President of ASNMSU, along with other Senate seats.

As it stands, there are 15 seats available during the upcoming fall election.  The exact numbers include: one seat for the college of aces, five seats for the college of arts and sciences, one for the college of business, two for the college of education, two for the college of engineering, three for graduate students, and one for the college of health and social services.

Individuals elected into office serve a full year term starting from when they were elected.  According to the Chief Elections Officer, Nancy Mestre, “If you are elected in the fall of this school year, then you will serve until the fall of the next school year.”

In order to run for a Senate seat, an election packet must be retrieved from the ASNMSU office, located on the second floor of Corbett.  The packet needs to be filled out by an individual and returned to the Senate office.

Packets are now available and are open to anyone that wants to become a candidate for their respective college with a few exceptions.

“There are some things you’ll need in order to qualify to run,” Mestre said.

According to Mestre, an individual needs to be of good academic standing in order to qualify to run for Senate.  On top of that, she stresses the need for students to obtain at least twenty-five signatures from students in their respective college in order to run.

“I suggest you get more than that, just to be on the safe side,” Mestre said.

Additionally, part-time students (anyone below 12 credit hours a semester) can also not be eligible to run.

Senators represent their college they are receiving their major from, with the power to pass resolutions as well as appropriations bills to student organizations. Additionally, they act as a main representative and voice of the student body of their respective colleges in a formal, parliamentary, setting.

All packets with signatures are due by 5 P.M. on Friday, October 13 in order to be eligible for a seat. Campaigning then begins on October 30 and ends on November 6.  Voting takes a full week, starting on Nov. 6 and ending on Nov. 10.

“Voting takes place that whole week.  When it’s done, I will post the unofficial results by 11 p.m. that night,” Mestre said.

Once the election cycle wraps up, new senators will be sworn in at the November 16 Senate meeting – beginning their official term as a representative for their college.

Continue to follow The Round Up during the upcoming election cycle as we will provide updates of tight races and coverage of future Senate openings.