Is Studying Abroad Easier Than You Think?

More stories from Zane Chaffee

Photo Courtesy of KRWG.org.

Photo Courtesy of KRWG.org.

Studying abroad is an enriching experience that allows students to immerse themselves in an interesting and diverse culture while also attending school. While enticing for some students, issues like finances and possible language barriers come to mind when considering studying abroad. Robert Garland, a sophomore at NMSU, believes studying abroad to be a great opportunity to experience the world, but finds the logistics involved with planning a trip to be overwhelming.

“I don’t want to interrupt my classes here just to travel elsewhere to study,” Garland explained. “It’s daunting to consider how much there is to take care of.”

Belkis Jacquez is a marketer with the Office of Education Abroad and an advocate for the study abroad program, and she believes there are three reasons for students not studying abroad — a language barrier, graduation requirements and personal finances.

“When I started thinking about studying abroad I considered all three factors, but the more research I did and the more I googled Ecuador, the more I became convinced of just how right this experience was for me.” Jacquez said. “What surprises me, frankly, is that more students don’t take advantage of these opportunities.”

The Office of Education Abroad pushes for students to meet with an advisor to discuss possible solutions for issues like finances and graduation requirements. Scholarships, loans and grants are available for the specific purpose of studying abroad. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program allows for U.S. citizens currently enrolled as an undergraduate to pursue academic or career oriented programs abroad.

Scholarships like the Colin Williamson Scholarship and the NMSU Study Abroad Scholarship Fund Exchange and Direct Programs ISTP are NMSU specific scholarships funded by the school. Jacquez went on to state that taking the time to look at these scholarships and taking the initiative to apply to them will help alleviate the direct out of pocket expenses.

“Additionally, NMSU offers help through their financial office. This comes in the form of being able to use the financial aid a student receives for the semester they are abroad, loans, and listing specific programs as classes.” Jacquez said. Jacquez continued by stating that study abroad is an exchange program, meaning that students will pay the same amount of tuition per semester at NMSU while attending another university in the world allowing students more flexibility with their education and their finances.

Language barriers and graduation requirements are also easily handled in that a semester abroad can be tailored to fit a students specific needs. Classes are offered in English and classes needed for degree requirements can all be taken. Jacquez advised that the key to making sure your semester abroad fulfills your personal and educational needs is research and planning. Jacquez also stated that the advisors at OEA work closely with students and their degree advisors to find the program and school to best match student needs.

Belkis Jacquez is a biology and anthropology major who traveled abroad to investigate the different neurological behaviors of dementia patients.

“My junior year of college I started to get a sudden itch to travel — but I wanted to keep working towards my degree and I wanted to keep doing research of some sort, Enter the Office of Education Abroad. With much planning, research, and help from OEA the following year I was on a nine-hour flight to Quito, Ecuador. While in Ecuador I worked closely with a psychology professor investigating different neurological behaviors exhibited by dementia patients and seeing a patient first hand with dementia brought every chemical reaction, every piece of information I had learned to life. I was getting REAL world experience. And most importantly, I was seeing how my studies and my knowledge could offer help to others.”

If you’re interested in studying abroad please visit the Office of Education Abroad in Garcia Annex rm. 238, call (575-646-5107) or visit the Office of Education Abroad online at https://oea.nmsu.edu/.