Board of Regents Move Forward in Finding New Chancellor

The New Mexico State University Board of Regents met on November 8 to discuss action items for the future progress of the University.  The items of merit — furthering the progress on the search for a new Chancellor, and a merger of a series of departments within the College of Education in order to establish a more needs-specific department.

Six of the seven items on the Regents agenda were regarding the search for a new Chancellor.  These items consisted of, approving a contract to hire a third-party firm to conduct the search, the search criteria, the position description, and the guidelines to establish a committee to add university input into the search process.

“Madame Chair, I would like to make a motion relative to action items under D, action items 3, 4, and 5, related to the chancellors’ search criteria, description, and informational package.  That we table those.” Regent Mitchell said.

At the beginning of the meeting, Regent Mitchell put forth a motion to table action items 3, 4, and 5.  These action items are all regarding the search for a new Chancellor.  They are the items that would establish the position search criteria, the position description, and the informational packet. 

“We had our last listening session last night and we are still receiving a good number of people wanting to respond and send us feedback” Regent Mitchell said, “I think it’s very important the board make sure we consider everyone’s feedback before we finalize that.”

Due to the feedback sessions, the regents felt it was necessary to have all comments accounted for before they established specific criteria.  In addition to these items being tabled, the regents also moved to table the creation of a search committee until the other tabled action items are addressed. 

The regents tabled the action items with a majority vote of 4-0, with Regent Cheney not present to vote. 

Of the action items addressed at the meeting, there was the proposal to merge several departments within the College of Education, and to contract a third party to conduct the Chancellors search. 

“The College of Education is proposing to merge two and a half departments to form the School of Teacher Preparation Administration and Leadership,” University Provost Dan Howard said.

The College of Education is proposing to merge two and a half of its departments to create a single department in its place.  The departments in question are as follows: Special Education, Curriculum and Instruction, and Educational Leadership and Administration.  According to the Dean of the College of Education, Don Pope-Davis, “This is an initiative to allow the College to stay relevant with the needs of its students.” 

In addition to consolidating departments in order to stay relevant with the changing climate teachers are required to be versed in, this proposal also appears to be a method for the College to save money. 

“I anticipate, we will have financial savings particularly in terms of those positions and how we reorganize going forward.” Dean Pope-Davis said.

This reorganization was approved by the Board with a majority vote of 4-0.

Finally, the Board of Regents addressed action item two which would give the University permission to allow a third-party firm to aid in the search for a new Chancellor.  According to the Chair of the Board of Regents, Debra Hicks, “We are ready to move forward into the negotiation process with the firm.” 

The Board of Regents voted on a motion to allow the third-party company, Wheless Partners, to provide consulting services regarding the search for a new Chancellor.  With a vote of 4-0, the motion caries and is now approved for the University. 

The Board of Regents are set to hold a meeting at a later date to finalize the items tabled at their most recent meeting.