ASNMSU Senate Election Results

Friday, November 10, saw the end of the voting period for the fall 2017 ASNMSU Senate elections.  The votes were counted over the weekend, and the results are in.

In the College of Arts and Sciences, 470 votes were cast for the four candidates running.  The race ended with incumbent Taylor Hartshorne receiving the most votes; 137.  In second came incumbent, and Senate Pro-Tempore, DeLorean Forbes receiving 128 votes.  In third was incumbent Sante Guajardo, receiving 98 votes.  Challenging candidate Taven Joseph Yoshito Wachi came in fourth, receiving 86 total votes.  Occupying the fifth, and final, seat is David Hernandez; a write-in receiving 7 votes. 

In the College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environment Sciences, 179 votes were cast for the two candidates running for the single open seat.  The winner of this race is Dillen Martinez receiving 90 votes.  This race was particularly close, with Martinez receiving only three more votes than his opponent, Kristie Gallacher. 

In the College of Health and Social Services, 87 votes were cast to decide who would receive the single open seat.  Yet another close race, this College saw Rachel Weatherby receive 45 votes, beating challenger Christopher Olsson by three votes. 

The College of Business saw 113 votes cast to determine the winner of the single open seat.  The winner of this race is Angel Renee Salcido, receiving 44 votes.  Salcido received eight more votes than the runner-up, Nicolas Barnhouse.

In the College of Education, 135 votes were cast to decide the winners of the two available seats.  Receiving the most votes is Emily Beker with 76 votes.  The winner of the second available seat is Wesley Don Juan Reynolds with 58 total votes.

In the College of Engineering, there were 262 votes cast to determine the winners of the two available seats.  Incumbent Valeria Carrillo received 145 votes; the most votes in the race.  The winner of the second available seat is incumbent David Elver, garnering 108 votes.

The final race to be discussed is the Graduate College.  This race not only saw the most upset, it also saw the most total votes cast.  The Graduate College saw a total of 963 total votes cast for the three available seats.  Coming in first is incumbent, and Senate Sergeant at Arms, Ehtesham Shareef, receiving 283 votes.  Coming in second is challenger Ankith Nadella, receiving 180 votes.  Taking the final available seat is Seyed Ali Seyedkavoosi, garnering 167 votes.  The upset in this race came from incumbent Ahmed De Alba Garza losing his seat to challenger Seyedkavoosi.  De Alba Garza received 114 total votes, falling short of retaining his seat by 53 votes. 

These Senators will have a term that lasts one year with their time in office spanning both next Spring and Fall of 2018. 

Separate elections will occur for ASNMSU in the Spring that includes Senate and the offices of President and Vice President, respectively.