Opinion: The Side of Paul Weir You Didn’t Know

Paul+Weir+returns+to+Las+Cruces+to+face+NMSU+on+Friday.+%0A%0APicture+Courtesy+of+ncaa.com+

Paul Weir returns to Las Cruces to face NMSU on Friday. 

Picture Courtesy of ncaa.com

Paul Weir returns to Las Cruces to face NMSU on Friday. Picture Courtesy of ncaa.com

Most Aggie fans are still feeling slighted about former NMSU head coach Paul Weir leaving to rival New Mexico. I am not trying to convince anybody to feel any different – I just want to tell a few stories that show the kind of person Weir is.

The Round Up went through a three-year period that was just awful. They tried a magazine named Oncore that was terrible, and it was not until present-day Editor-in-Chief Albert Luna took a managerial role that The Round Up began to become relevant again.

Last November, as the Sports Editor, I was tasked with asking coach Weir if he would be willing to take time out of his preseason schedule to do a photoshoot with The Round Up for our next issue.

Weir not only agreed to it, but he wore one of his sharpest suits and walked into the Pan American Center barefooted because practice had just ended and he wanted to be on time — for us, a student newspaper that had essentially gone missing for a few years. He was looking at the shots we were getting of him and was brainstorming with us of how to get the best picture possible.

After photos, we interviewed him for about 30 minutes about his journey and career, the ups and downs that come with trying to make it in college basketball.

I used to get nervous talking to head coaches when I started, but it wasn’t until I was able to work with Weir that he not only made me feel important, but his genuine personality made him extremely personable.

He led NMSU to 28 wins in his first year as a Division I head coach. What you might’ve not known is that leading up to it, Weir was relentless in trying to galvanize the fan base.

Weir would send texts at 11 p.m. at night or 5 a.m. in the morning to athletic department employees about what he could do to get people to go to the games. He was a presence on campus, and I would run into him at least once a week walking to work or to class and we would exchange pleasantries.

Ten years was how long he was in Las Cruces, and people kind of forget that. Few folks loved NMSU more than Paul Weir. It will always be home to him.

When UNM approached him with the head coaching position, to Weir, the opportunity was too good to pass up.

It is not all about the money in Weir’s pocket either. At UNM, he will have the resources necessary to take care of people that help him do his job. He already brought in former Aggie Brandon Mason to be an assistant. At NMSU, resources are so scarce that it is just was not something he could do as often or effectively.

It is nobody’s fault. UNM is just a bigger school in a bigger city in a bigger market with a bigger budget. Attendance could absolutely be better for football and men’s basketball games. But even with that, UNM’s athletic budget is 17 million dollars bigger than NMSU’s. So, the notion that these two schools are on an even playing field couldn’t be more incorrect. They are not equals.

NMSU’s entire athletic department does more with less. In all reality, it should be tough for NMSU to beat UNM is really anything — but women’s soccer, football, and volleyball have done it already this academic year.

NMSU’s Marketing Department and Sports Information Directors work twice as hard as most other departments, with half the staff, but still manage to make sure social media accounts are relevant, stats are being recorded, student-athletes are doing well, and many other things that fall out of their job description.

I wrote multiple articles last year practically begging students and fans to go to Aggie games, and even with the 20-game winning streak, the Pan Am struggled to get half-full (In Paul Weir’s UNM debut, The Pit had 10,695 in attendance. NMSU’s home opener? 3,950). Who wouldn’t want to perform what they do in front of a larger audience?

Weir moving onto UNM was a move that if you care about him as a person, you could not be happier for him. Take the whole rivalry thing out of the equation. Weir felt like it was a move that brings him closer to whatever his career goals may be.

The Pan Am should be absolutely rocking Friday night. It is a great opportunity to show the region that Aggie fans are prideful and can still make the building that is home to a Final Four banner a tough place to play. But after the game, it should be time to finally tip your hat to the man that played a crucial part of one of the most successful eras in Aggie Basketball history. 

Derek Gonzales, Editor-in-Chief

Derek E. Gonzales enters his third year as an employee of the New Mexico State University Round Up and first as the Editor-in-Chief. The homegrown product...

18 Comments

18 Responses to “Opinion: The Side of Paul Weir You Didn’t Know”

1. Manny on November 15th, 2017 12:15 pm

Great article!

2. Zialover on November 15th, 2017 12:39 pm

What a lambe article on the man that jilted NMSU.

3. Anonymous on November 15th, 2017 12:51 pm

A puff piece on the UNM head basketball coach right before one of the biggest games in years. Gee, wonder why the Roud-Up was just awful…

Screw Paul Weir and screw UNM.

4. niembre on November 15th, 2017 1:20 pm

Those examples you just provided are things that the Traitor and any head basketball coach should be doing. It’s like if you would have said he is a good father or he has never been to jail. You’re supposed to be a good father, You’re not supposed to go to jail. Don’t be a low expectation kind of person. This article was total garbage. This guy still owes NMSU money for his buyout and refuses to pay. This guy turned his back on the University, the fans, and most importantly his players for a little more cash. He is a traitor and come Friday, hopefully the PanAm will let him know how we feel about him.

5. Anonymous on November 15th, 2017 1:59 pm

This article is a piece of junk. Why would you write this after he screwed us over and right before we are about to play the hated Lobos? If he was a good person and Las Cruces “was really home” for him, why didn’t he stay for a few years, build up his resume and then get a real job at a real P5 school?

6. Anonymous on November 15th, 2017 2:06 pm

What an absolutely ridiculous article on a traitor right before a big rivalry game. If Las Cruces “will always be home to him”, then why did he leave? Even with all the resources you tout, UNM has nowhere near the success, pedigree and history of NMSU basketball. If he cared at all about Las Cruces, then why didn’t he thank NMSU in his press conference? Why didn’t he stay a couple of years, build up his resume and then get a P5 job?

7. albatros on November 15th, 2017 2:14 pm

Such an amateur article. Things you mentioned like photo shoot, fan engagement are part of a coach’s job. Its not like Menzies denied any of these. Colorado has a bigger budget than Colorado St, Utah has a bigger budget than Utah St. How many of times have you heard coaches jumping to rival ships there? This article is an disgrace for NMSU fans and alumni.

8. albatross on November 15th, 2017 2:15 pm

9. Anonymous on November 16th, 2017 10:47 am

Agreeed.

10. thomas on November 15th, 2017 4:16 pm

Are you kidding me? He gave the school newspaper an interview and tried to get fans to the games? You laud him for doing what any coach should be doing while leaving out the part about owing NMSU $500,000? The week of the big rivalry game and you do a piece on the coach who not only had no other chances at a head coaching position, but stiffed the university that gave him that chance? What an embarrassment and slight to the University, the current Basketball coach, his staff, and his players. The side of that “coach” that I do know is all I need to know.

11. FoKuZ on November 15th, 2017 7:40 pm

Great Article

12. Anonymous on November 15th, 2017 11:57 pm

Why is this article sucking up to the coach that betrayed NMSU right before the game they play us? This is the opposite of what should be talked about if you want to get people excited to go to the game. Why don’t we talk about our team now or our current head coach. Paul Weir is a snake regardless of being him being a good coach or not.

13. Mary Love on November 16th, 2017 9:34 am

As an Aggie Alumn holding 2 degrees from NMSU, I enjoyed this article. Sometimes we forget that our coworkers, leaders and mentors are people with real life issues too. I think it’s ridiculous to chastise a journalist for writing a supportive piece about a member of the community who was trying to encourage more participation, etc. I think it’s absurd to accuse a man of being a traitor when he’s seeking better career opportunities elsewhere. Working at NMSU and leaving to find better pay, benefits, resources and management isn’t a bad thing…it’s a common theme on campus (and in life). If you know about the budget crisis at NMSU ( or in education really), then maybe you can understand why talented folks seek employment elsewhere. Be kind.

14. CactusWilli on November 16th, 2017 11:29 am

Did you bother to read/comrehend the article? BIgger Budget, fan base, etc. If you were offered similiar job with more money, support that you would not accept? Come on man, he’s still in NM doing good things and still considers nmsu home.

15. Anonymous on November 16th, 2017 2:18 pm

This was a good article, people never even go to the games and are just mad he’s moved on and left them behind. Sorry– Las Cruces is not a great stop for someone to build a career at NMSU – saying it how it is!

16. Anonymous on November 16th, 2017 3:25 pm

At least the RoundUp is back to actually having people care what they write. As an old ex-employee there, it’s good to see them stirring debate as a newspaper, that’s what they are there to do. Not always what people want to hear – but what they need to.

17. Anonymous on November 17th, 2017 1:43 pm

^^^^This right here. Loobs love your writing, Gonzales. Aggies, hate it. Is what you’ve done and continue to defend still not getting through that thick skull of yours?!

18. Anonymous on November 15th, 2018 2:43 pm

Still the worst article ever. 1 year later.

• Opinion: The Side of Paul Weir You Didn’t Know

Chancellor Arvizu aims to make NMSU a “catalyst for change”

Editor's Picks

The Spirit versus the Spreadsheet: NMSU terminates long-time employee

Editor's Picks

NMSU students begin journey interning at Google

Multi-year underground repair project underway

Editor's Picks

The Round Up is back; Goodbye to the Best College Job

Editor's Picks

NMSU seeking to rename room after controversial company

Editor's Picks

NMSU professor announces retirement due to poor Board of Regents leadership

Editor's Picks

Controversial past still follows New Mexico governor candidate Lujan Grisham

Editor's Picks

Attorney General Jeff Sessions addresses border issues in visit to Las Cruces

Editor's Picks

Board of Regents discuss possible tuition increases