Corbett Charging Organizations Raises Questions

Zack Jimenez

Students relaxing on the second floor of the Corbett Center.

In the recent months, Corbett Center Student Union has been charging student groups to make use of their facilities.  Corbett Center, an entity that receives student fee money, has not been using that money for students.

“The Student Union does receive student fee money.  I’m not sure how we’re then charging student groups for the a/v equipment or the rooms that that student fee money is supposed to be paying for,” Dean of Students Michael Jasek said.

Student organizations have reportedly been charged for use of the facilities.  This ranges from a/v equipment, rooms, and even tables.  This fee that student groups have been charged are for set-up and take-down of the previously mentioned items.  These fees have not been charged in the past, and now they are suddenly part of the Corbett equation.  Student groups were caught off guard, and their budget planners were not prepared for this sudden charge.

“I was surprised, there wasn’t anything about it in my transition manual.  It wasn’t budgeted for, I am in charge of the Senate budget.  We don’t set aside money for orientations and meetings, so it was a very unexpected cost,” Vice President Emerson Morrow said.

Dean Jasek was, “surprised,” to find out about the student union charging student groups for the use of its facilities.  Because of this, he is going to begin discussions with the director of the Corbett Center, and the director of conference services. 

In terms of Senate, the governing body can either compose an open letter that Senators can sign onto if they so choose, or they can vote on a resolution.  A resolution is a statement of opinion of the whole student body.  It is a statement that is backed up by collecting student signatures on petitions. 

“A resolution is worth going through for this.  I don’t think charging student groups to use these spaces that they’ve used without charge for years now is right,” Vice President Morrow said.

Students themselves can work through Senate if they are affected by this.  Furthermore, student groups can issue a complaint to the Dean of Students office.

“Students can work with ASNMSU.  They can contact our office so I can keep track of those complaints.  If there are student groups that are interacting with this, it gives me more data to show,” Dean Jasek said.