Summer and fall registration to open at NMSU

Courtesy Creative Commons

Registration for the upcoming Summer and Fall 2018 semesters are set to open as early as April 5 at New Mexico State University, and advisors are encouraging students to begin to look at STAR audits and be keenly aware of what classes they might need to continue down the path of someday walking on stage at graduation inside the Pan American Center. 

If students have any academic holds on their account, they will need to visit an adviser inside the Garcia Annex, located near Corbett Center. 

NMSU has catered to the need that students have, and has started offering financial aid for summer courses. However this grant is not guaranteed to everyone, because it is a need based grant, and students must talk to their adviser to see if they qualify.

There are a few additional requirements to receiving a Pell Grant. A student’s FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be completed and up to date, and they must to be taking at least six credit hours. 

Additionally, just because NMSU offers summer classes that doesn’t mean students have to stay on campus for those classes. A lot of the summer courses are offered online for the benefit of students. One of the many perks to taking classes during the summer is getting more one on one time with professors. If students take online courses it does not interfere with traveling, and would allow the student to have the possibility of graduating early. 

Students who are enrolled in summer classes, or current housing residents who are in good standing with NMSU and will be continuing as enrolled students for that fall semester, may apply to live in campus housing during the summer.

The summer deposit is $200. If first-year students apply, there is also a $15 application fee due. If an upperclassman applies, a $50 application fee in addition to the $200 deposit. Only students who will continue to live in campus housing may stay on campus during interim periods.

Marissa Fowler the associative director for advising said, “Some of the most popular classes during the summer are math and lab sciences and that is because it usually takes students a little more time and they tend to be a little more difficult, taking them in the summer usually allows them to be able to just focus on that class.”

Students have three options for summer classes, they have the classes that are full term, which essentially means they run from the end of May to the beginning of August. They have classes that are summer one, which means they go from the end of May to the end of June. Lastly, they have summer two, which goes from the end of June to the end of July.

Fowler said, “I really want to encourage my students to investigate in taking summer class because it could be very beneficial to your degree plan. If it’s a harder class and it requires more attention then taking it in the summer would give you more time, and allow you to focus solely on that course.”

Whether students want to take summer classes or not there is no harm in checking into it. Students should be sure to look at all their options before signing up for classes in the summer and fall. For additional information about summer or fall registration, students should set up an appointment with their adviser by calling 575-646-2941