NMSU unveils new Pepsi Spire machine

New Mexico State University Dining services partnered with the Corbett Center Student Union food court, were joined by a group of students, to unveil the Pepsi Spire machine on April 13, 2018. The soda machine, which is the first of all universities across the country, is one of Pepsi’s newest creations, where individuals can combine flavors of different Pepsi products into over 500 different varieties.

As the first Pepsi Spire machine in the southwest region of the country, NMSU officials were looking forward to the long-awaited inauguration by providing the first 50 students to arrive with a free hat or earbuds. The Associated Students of New Mexico State University president Kevin Prieto was in attendance and he was able to serve himself the first Pepsi Spire drink, and then students were able to create their own unique beverage.

“[The Pepsi Spire] is really taking us forward in technology, and helping us keep up with other industries in the hospitality services,” said assistant vice president of Auxiliary Services Steve Bettner.

With the Pepsi Spire being a project in the making for more than six months, ASNMSU, along with the NMSU Insider, took to their social media accounts to keep students informed about the unveiling. Students learned about the unveiling and receiving a free hat or earbuds through the announcement from ASNMSU and the NMSU Insider on their respective Twitter accounts.

“I wasn’t quite sure what a Pepsi Spire machine was until I saw it, but it’s pretty awesome,” said sophomore Fallon Murphy. Murphy believes that the machine will grow to become a huge hit among students on campus.

Assistant vice president Bettner explained to The Round Up that the actual process of installing the machine in the Corbett Center food court was a challenge for the technicians in charge. The technicians had never installed a machine like the Pepsi Spire before, especially not at NMSU, considering it is the first machine of its kind in the entire southwestern region of the country. Yet the installation was successful, and the unveiling was conducted without any issues.

Both officials of the university and current students, may be excited and looking forward to spreading the news about NMSU’s Pepsi Spire. The possibilities for the Pepsi Spire’s future at NMSU are endless.

The Pepsi Spire at NMSU is located in the first floor of the Corbett Center Student Union for all NMSU students, faculty, and staff to use and create their favorite drink combinations.