Corbett Center welcomes new Pete’s Patio

T.V.+monitors+at+Petes+Patio+displayed+explicit+content+Tuesday+evening.+

T.V. monitors at Pete’s Patio displayed explicit content Tuesday evening.

New Mexico State University has broken ground on a new grill and pub restaurant located in Corbett Center Student Union, which is set to open for business during this upcoming fall semester.

Pete’s Patio had been in the planning stages throughout the summer and workers finally broke ground on it a few weeks ago. The idea was originally formed between the Associated Students of NMSU under former Student Body President Kevin Prieto and Auxiliary Services.

Steven Bettner, assistant vice president of Auxiliary Services at NMSU, said students were in favor of a pub in a survey taken 2 years ago.

“In 2016 there was a student survey done and it had one question in it, and it was ‘would you be supportive of a pub or bar inside of the Corbett Center Student Union’ and 80 percent of the students that responded, responded favorably, that they were interested in it,” Bettner said.

The project received approval from the NMSU Board of Regents in the last meeting before the end of the 2018 Spring semester.

The restaurant will be located in the outdoor patio area next to Taos Restaurant.

Dwayne Wisniewiski, Director of NMSU Dining, said Pete’s Patio is intended to be another area on campus for students to come together and relax or work.

“You’ll see one of our sayings is ‘A place to come and hang your hat’,” Wisniewiski said.

A tentative menu has been created and food items will include a signature burger, chicken wings, personal s’mores, alcoholic beverages and many other items. The menu will be subject to change depending on new ideas and the reaction of the customers.

Dining dollars will be useable at Pete’s Patio for food items but not alcoholic beverages.

“It’s gonna be pub food, local favorites, and we’re gonna serve it and price it very affordable for our students and also attract the entire community of NMSU,” Wisniewiski said.

Bettner explained that this part of the project is phase one, and they would like to expand the area later on. The indoor space next to the patio would become a game room in the second phase, and a place for customers to go if the weather is bad. The current game room, located on the second floor of Corbett Center, would then be open for a possible new space.

Bettner said there have been a few unforeseen challenges as there often are with construction. The foundation was found to be deeper than they expected, which has slowed down progress. Bettner said they are aiming to open Pete’s Patio during Homecoming week in the early part of October, but more challenges may present themselves and push back the opening date.

A grand opening will be held when Pete’s Patio officially opens sometime during the Fall 2018 semester. The restaurant will be in service from 2 p.m. to midnight on weekdays when it is officially opened for business.