Finding the unique classes NMSU offers as registration for Spring 2019 begins

Registration for the Spring 2019 semester begins today for non-Crimson Scholar Students.

Class registration for the Spring 2019 semester begins for non-Crimson Scholar students today at New Mexico State University. NMSU has a variety of courses for students to enjoy, whether it be within their major or outside it.

Here are just a few courses that students from all backgrounds can appreciate.

One unique class that is being offered for the spring semester is West Coast Swing 1, listed as ‘DANC 118’ in the NMSU Catalog.

This is a dance class that will instruct students on the techniques of Swing. The unique attribute of West Coast Swing 1 is that, once students learn the style, they can dance to any music of their choice, whether it be Hip-Hop, Disco, House or Country.

Should students want to strengthen their dancing skills for weekend nights, this class is a great place to start for both beginners and experts.

Anthem Furth, a graduate from NMSU had taken the class while he was acquiring his undergraduate degree.

“I loved it. Up until that point, I had done next to zero dancing,” Furth said. “I skipped most school dances and stayed seated at weddings. After that class, I am now a go-to dance partner for many of my female friends. I have certainly grown in confidence in interactions and trying new things.”

A second unique class that NMSU offers is Introduction to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, listed as ‘P E 159’.

This physical education course instructs students on a specific type of martial arts. This type of fighting style is mostly done on the ground. Not only could this be an engaging course for students, but it could also be beneficial since this course could be used for real-life situations.

According to Evolve Daily, “studies show that most street fights end up on the ground.”

Furthermore, students can sharpen their defense skills, while also strengthening their bodies and having fun while doing it.

Thirdly, the International Food and Wine course, HRTM 414, provides students the opportunity to experiment and examine wine through class lectures, films and guest speakers. It also requires students to taste wine for themselves.

This course is offered through the Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism management group, providing a fun environment for students to experience wine-tasting and learning.

The one prerequisite that is needed to participate in this course is being the legal age of 21.

NMSU also offers individual courses that instructs students on different languages. Some of the languages that are taught are Japanese, Chinese, German, French, Spanish and English. Through these classes, students can sharpen their familiarity with different cultures, while speaking the languages of different ethnicities.

As Nelson Mandela once said, “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.”

Through these classes, students can utilize their knowledge in different countries, should they decide to Study Abroad.

Overall, New Mexico State University offers a variety of courses for students to take. So, instead of searching for that specific core class, try something new and diverse. Students may find that it’s the best college class they took.

Lauren Roman, Staff Writer

Lauren Roman is a sophomore at NMSU, currently working towards a bachelor’s degree in Creative Media. She was born and raised in Las Cruces, New Mexico...

1 Comment

One Response to “Finding the unique classes NMSU offers as registration for Spring 2019 begins”

1. Diego Ruiz on November 14th, 2018 1:49 pm

Never knew about these classes before! Wish I could be in the wine class that was mentioned! Overall, it was a great job on emphasizing how unique NMSU is!

• Finding the unique classes NMSU offers as registration for Spring 2019 begins

Best holiday date ideas in the Las Cruces area

NMSU to hold 34th annual Noche de Luminarias event Sunday

NMSU students prepare for the semester’s final stretch

Research team pushes for gender-neutral restroom in O’Donnell

NMSU receives over 2 million dollars in gifts on Giving Tuesday 

NMSU Alumna to lead Courtyard Marriott hotel 

Floros inaugurated as 28th President, Arvizu as second Chancellor of NMSU

NMSU’s Crimson Concierge aids student travel and more

NMSU production Inspecting Carol set to debut this holiday season

NMSU students yearn for long-awaited Thanksgiving break