NM State’s Chris Jans named WAC Coach of the Year for second-consecutive season

NM+State+head+coach+Chris+Jans+after+the+Aggies+celebrated+winning+the+WAC+regular+season+title.+

NM State head coach Chris Jans after the Aggies celebrated winning the WAC regular season title.

New Mexico State men’s basketball coach Chris Jans has won the Western Athletic Conference Don Haskins Coach of the Year award for the second-straight season, the conference has announced.

Jans, who has earned $40,000 in incentive bonuses prior to this announcement, is set to earn another $10,000 bonus for this accolade, per his contract. 

The former Wichita State assistant has taken the league and region over by storm since his hiring in 2017, going 55-10 in his time with the Aggies. NM State has beaten rival UNM in all four meetings in Jans’ tenure, including a 35-point beatdown in their last meeting inside the Pan American Center.

Two sweeps of UTEP, a 5-0 record against Grand Canyon and two wins this season against the Pac-12’s Washington State have put Jans in the conversation of one of the most successful NM State head coaches in program history despite his tenure barely getting underway. 

The top-seeded Aggies are set to begin their quest for a third-straight WAC tournament title on Thursday afternoon against Chicago State inside Las Vegas’ Orleans Arena.

James Martin, Sports Editor

James Martin is a second-year sportswriter and a sophomore majoring in journalism. He was born and raised in Las Cruces, New Mexico and graduated from...