New Weck’s restaurant opens across from NMSU

Movers+prepare+used+to+be+Aggie+watering+hole+Dublins+for+incoming+restaurant+Wecks+earlier+this+month.+

Movers prepare used to be Aggie watering hole Dublin’s for incoming restaurant Weck’s earlier this month.

Albuquerque restaurant Weck’s opened Friday, Oct. 18 on the corner of Locust Street and University Avenue, officially claiming the bones of Dublin’s Street Pub and Grill that closed abruptly in February.

The breakfast hub’s opening was delayed from its original date announced on Facebook for various reasons, Danielle Andazola, director of marketing for Weck’s said. 

“It took a while to go through different things with the city,” Andazola said. “It’s always a challenge opening a new restaurant!” 

Andazola noted that the setback wasn’t expected to deter people from their anticipation for the Albuquerque native restaurant.

“People have been excited for it [Weck’s] the entire way, and we all have been patient together waiting for the opening,” Andazola said.

The menu includes all-American burgers, sandwiches, and waffles as well as New Mexican favorites lik burritos, papas and huevos rancheros. Andazola said that the diner’s “large portions and good prices will be perfect for NMSU students and staff.”

“We believe the restaurant will bring a great diverse type of food to the area,” Andazola said. “It will be an all-American diner with genuine New Mexican food!”

Though Weck’s is placed directly across from New Mexico State University, Andazola trusts it will be a great place for the community as a whole.

“We think it will be nice for the community of Las Cruces to have a new breakfast and lunch choice,” Andazola said.

According to Andazola, students can expect “college age-appropriate” foods in addition to potential job opportunities.

Cassandra Mendez, a sophomore majoring in Psychology, said she feels good about the idea of a new restaurant.

“It’s a good feeling. There are more places to eat. Anything that’s more available is more efficient for me,” Mendez said.

Mendez added that she believes Weck’s will be a beneficial addition to the Aggie community.

“I love the fact that I don’t need to be on campus to access food,” Mendez said. “Especially if I don’t live on campus and have other things to do, I’ll have somewhere else to go eat.”

Desaray Flores, a sophomore studying animation, also commented on the availability of a new breakfast place.

“It’s really cool to get breakfast in the mornings when you’re on the rush. It’s good to have something new besides McDonald’s or all of those fast food restaurants,” Flores said.

Flores said she was unaware that the restaurant would be opening in Las Cruces, but is now excited to know there is something new.

“I’m honestly surprised. I’m excited a little. It’s getting boring with the options that are available. So, it’s nice to have something different,” Flores said.

Weck’s hours will run between 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. , seven days a week.