NMSU Board of Regents welcome new regent, hold officer elections

Regent Arsenio Romero, NMSU Courtesy Photo

At the New Mexico State University Board of Regents Regular Meeting on March 8, Arsenio Romero was sworn in as a new regent and the annual election of new officers took place. 

Regent Romero will fulfill his term until Dec. 31, 2020 to take over the seat that became vacant once former regent Jerean Hutchinson resigned in April 2019. Regent Romero was appointed to the position by Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham and was confirmed by the New Mexico Senate on Feb. 17.  

NMSU Board of Regents Vice Chair Ammu Devasthali mentioned examples of Regent Romero’s history in working with leadership and educational systems.  

He has more than 23 years of leadership, managerial and executive experience. He also has a proven track record of leading large-scale initiatives focused on student achievement, financial management, human capital strategy, and other strategically significant areas,” Devasthali said.

Regent Romero earned his bachelor of science degree in elementary education at NMSU, completed his master’s degree in educational administration and leadership from the University of New Mexico and returned to NMSU to complete his Ph.D. in educational management and development.  

Regent Romero has served as an adjunct professor at NMSU and Western New Mexico University, an elementary school teacher and a principle.  

Additionally, Romero served as a lead performance coach/executive coach for the New Mexico Public Education Department since 2013, assistant superintendent for instruction and turnaround for the Roswell Independent School District from 2015-2017 and as superintendent and CEO of Deming Public Schools since 2017. 

Officer elections are held annually on the second Monday of March for a new president, a president tem and a secretary-treasurer whereas the president and president pro-tem seats are referred to as the chair and vice chair. 

All previous officer seats remained the same after the election, as Dina Chacón-Reitzel was elected to chair, Devasthali was elected to vice chair and Student Regent Luke Sanchez was elected to secretary-treasurer. 

Former Chair of NMSU Employee Council Sonya White was present to introduce the newly elected chair Letty Gallegos.  

“Letty has been with NMSU for eight years and she’s been part of Employee Council and a member of the executive team since 2018. Letty is currently a lead academic advisor in the Center for Academic Advising and Student Support,” White said. 

Gallegos, an El Paso native, has worked in higher education for over 20 years at institutions such as Tarrant County College, the University of New Mexico, DeVry University, Dallas and the University of North Texas. 

Gallegos holds two graduate degrees—a master of science degree in student affairs management and a master of arts degree in training and organizational leadership. Gallegos’s undergraduate degree was completed at the University of North Texas and includes a bachelor of arts in speech communications, radio/tv/film.  

The next proposed meeting date for the NMSU Board of Regents is scheduled for April 3 at 8 am at the Las Cruces campus.