COVID-19 Updates: March 17, 2020

Coronavirus+19+%28COVID-19%29+image.+

Stefanie Gutierrez

Coronavirus 19 (COVID-19) image.

Here are the most important things you need to know today according to the New Mexico Department of Health, Office of the Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham and New Mexico State University officials:

Around the State:

• Positive cases in NM have risen to 23, with total tests reaching 1,272 residents. The cases are located in Bernalillo County (14), Sandoval County (2), Santa Fe County (4), Socorro County (2) and Taos County (1)
  • NM announced that the state will extend eligibility for unemployment insurance benefits to employees affected by COVID-19. According to a press release from the Office of Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham, the work search requirement for affected workers has been waived for up to four weeks.

Around NMSU

• NMSU Provost Carol Parker announced Monday that face-to-face classes will move online for the remainder of the semester. This rule has exceptions for essential in-person classes. 
  • In the announcement Monday, Parker also announced deadline changes. The deadline to drop a class has been extended to April 2 and Mini-semesters will begin March 30. Final Exam deadlines and Graduation ceremony dates remain the same. 
  • The Activities Center, Dining and other special-use facilities are limiting the number of patrons occupying the space
  • For Campus Events and Activities, NMSU advises that meetings and social gatherings should be limited to 10 people or fewer following CDC guidelines through March 31. 
  • Non-NMSU students and those who have traveled from out of state or country will not be permitted to join in meetings on campus
  •  Meetings after March 30 in Corbett Center will remain on the calendar tentatively. Events currently scheduled are subject to change or be cancelled due to social distance requirements

For more information surrounding this rapidly evolving situation, visit https://cv.nmhealth.org/