Covid-19 Update: March 19, 2020

Coronavirus+19+%28COVID-19%29+image.+

Stefanie Gutierrez

Coronavirus 19 (COVID-19) image.

Here are the most important things you need to know today according to the New Mexico Department of Health, the Office of Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham and NMSU administration. 

Around the State 

• Cases have risen to 35 in New Mexico. The total number of NM residents tested is at 2,797 as of March 19, 2020. The cases are located in Bernalillo County (20), Sandoval County (4), Santa Fe County (7), San Miguel County (1), Socorro County (2) and Taos County (1). NMDOH has detected community spread. 
  • The NMDOH and Grisham implemented new regulations as of March 19, 2020. The new regulations prohibit mass gatherings, Limit restaurants, bars and pubs to provide take-out and delivered items only and indoor shopping malls, recreational facilities, health clubs, resort spas, athletic facilities, movie theatres and flea markets have been directed to close. Hotels, motels and lodges are directed to operate at no more than 50% of maximum occupancy. 
  • Grocery stores and pharmacies, shelters, courthouses, banks, correction and detention facilities, hospitals and health care facilities and places of worship remain open. 
  • Gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited. 

Around NMSU

• During a town hall meeting Wednesday, March 18, President John Floros announced that NMSU is restricting access to facilities to anyone who is not a student or employee. Corbett Center will remain open to allow students access to the Dining Hall, but the hours will be reduced. The U.S. Post Office will remain open.
  • Floros also directed employees should be working from home if possible, effective immediately.  Anyone who needs help with this process (expectations, work assignments, equipment, etc.) should speak with their immediate supervisor.
  • In coordination with deans, department heads, researchers and staff, cleaning crews will begin sanitizing entire buildings. When a crew arrives at a building, please work with them and follow directives for leaving the space while work takes place.
  • Jobs are not being eliminated and all will continue to be paid as long as people are working.
  • Beginning March 30, the university will move to an online delivery model for nearly all classes. While exceptions might be made for labs that require students to be present, every precaution will be taken to reduce the risk of virus transmission.
  • The NMSU libraries are limiting access to students, faculty and staff with their NMSU ID.
  • NMSU Campus tutoring is working to expand course offerings for online tutoring services. 
  • The NMSU School of Hospitality, Restaurant and Tourism Management has cancelled all scheduled Spring 2020 meals and events including 100 West Cafe lunches and the remaining International Dinners.