COVID-19 Updates: March 24, 2020

Coronavirus+19+%28COVID-19%29+image.+

Stefanie Gutierrez

Coronavirus 19 (COVID-19) image.

Here are the most important things you need to know this morning, according to the New Mexico Department of Health, the Office of Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham, the City of Las Cruces and New Mexico State University officials. 

Around the state

• As of Monday, March 24, 2020, total in-state cases have risen to 83, with 5,973 total tests administered. The cases are located in Bernalillo County (38), Chaves County (4), Dona Ana County (10), Lea County (1), McKinley County (2), San Juan County (3), San Miguel County (1), Sandoval County (7), Santa Fe County (12), Socorro County (2), Taos County (3). 
  • The NM DOH has detected community spread. 
  • Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham announced Monday a new public order that prohibits gatherings of more than 5 people and closes all businesses and nonprofit entities deemed non-essential through April 10, 2020. 
  • In her announcement Monday, Governor Lujan Grisham urged New Mexicans to only leave the home when absolutely necessary for health, safety and welfare.

Around NMSU

• As of Monday, cases in Dona Ana County have risen to 12. 
  • President John Floros announced March 20 via email that students who left for spring break should not return to campus. Housing and Residential life clarified Sunday, March 22 that students who left the state of New Mexico or El Paso area should not retrieve their items until it is safe to do so. Others who remained around the state and those who rely on housing as their necessary residence will have to follow protocols emailed to residents. 
  • The Aggie Cupboard has converted to summer hours and will be distributing food only from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. on Thursdays. 
  • Effective March 23, 2020, the NMSU Library announced that it will be closed. Virtual services will be available
  • Interim Associate Dean in the College of Business announced Tuesday that students who can no longer retrieve their textbooks can obtain select electronic versions here