COVID-19 Updates: March 27, 2019

Coronavirus+19+%28COVID-19%29+image.+

Stefanie Gutierrez

Coronavirus 19 (COVID-19) image.

Here’s what you need to know today according to the New Mexico Department of Health, the Office of Michelle Lujan Grisham and NMSU officials. 

Around the State

• The first death related to COVID-19 was announced by NM DOH Wednesday. A male from Eddy County in his late 70s died Sunday. He had underlying health conditions 
  • Cases have risen to 136 according to today’s report. Total tests administered are at 8,513. 
  • The cases are located in Bernalillo County (55), Dona Ana County (16), Eddy County (1), Lea County (1), McKinley County (3), Rio Arriba County (2), Sandoval County (10), San Juan County (14), San Miguel County (1), Santa Fe County (22), Socorro County, (2), Taos County (3)
  • Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham requested an Army Combat Support Hospital Thursday as a proactive measure to support the state’s capacity for treatment. Gov. Lujan Grisham asked for 248-beds from the US Defense Department. 

Around NMSU

• NMSU President John Floros hosted a town hall Thursday to address new policies, procedures and questions from the community. 
  • Students who chose to leave on campus housing and dining will be prorated. 
  • Students will have the option to be traditionally graded or choose a satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for online classes. 
  • Virtual Resources are available to students
  • Spring Commencement will be a virtual ceremony.  
  • For more information, students, faculty and staff should refer to the NMSU COVID-19 informational site

These are developing topics. Stay up-to-date with The Round Up for the latest news surrounding COVID-19 and the rapidly changing updates surrounding NMSU and the state.