NMSU prepares for fall semester as cases near 8,000, state begins to reopen

NMSU+says+students+should+expect+a+hybrid-learning+system%2C+socially+distanced+classroom+settings+for+upcoming+semester.+

NMSU says students should expect a hybrid-learning system, socially distanced classroom settings for upcoming semester.

Here are the most important things to know today about COVID-19 according to the New Mexico Department of Health, the office of Michelle Lujan Grisham and Las Cruces officials

Around the State
Positive cases around the state have risen to 7,800. Total tests administered in New Mexico have reached 203,115 according to the NMDOH. As of Monday’s report, the death toll has reached 362, and 2,888 cases have been designated as recovered.

Currently, the state reports 191 hospitalizations.

On Monday the governor announced limited re-openings to begin June 1. Important changes include the permission for dine-in restaurants and gyms to operate at 50% capacity, as well as indoor malls, hair and nail salons, barber shops, tattoo parlors and massage services are permitted for 25% occupancy.

Around Las Cruces
In Dona Ana County total cases have risen to 476, with a total of three county deaths caused by the virus.

Young adults, aged 20-29 account for the majority of current total cases. 16,635 residents in Dona Ana County have been tested for the virus.

The city of Las Cruces tabled an ordinance June 1 which would address additional situations for mask requirements for all retail and commercial business, and when utilizing taxi, ride-share and private car services. Eating, drinking, children younger than three years-old, and when wearing the face coverings would inhibit the individual’s health would be exceptions to the ordinance.

Voting will resume June 15, and community members will have the opportunity to voice opinions at a special council meeting June 5 at 9:30 a.m.

Around NMSU
As New Mexico State University prepares for reopening in the fall semester, statements by administration continue to flow to student inboxes. On Monday, June 1, the Las Cruces campus was reopened to those in the community.

On Monday Vice President of Student Success Renee Scott noted that summer enrollment is currently up and looks encouraging for the fall semester.

“We plan to be open and operational this fall, with dedicated faculty and staff preparing strategies and plans that will follow CDC recommendations and meet safety guidelines across academics, campus activities, and athletics,” Scott said in an email to students.

Scott said in the coming weeks, students will learn more about face covering requirements, guidelines and hybrid learning methods and classrooms adjusted for social distancing.