NMSU reopening plans yet to be finalized

NMSU+plans+to+welcome+students+come+the+fall+semester%2C+but+specifics+have+yet+to+be+finalized.+

NMSU plans to welcome students come the fall semester, but specifics have yet to be finalized.

As positive COVID-19 cases continue to grow around the state, New Mexico State University is preparing to reopen come fall, though plan specifics have yet to be defined.

On June 5, the university launched an online guide entitled “NMSU Ready,” with information available to students regarding plans in the works. According to the webpage, the academic calendar has yet to change.

Move-in day is slated for Aug. 14 and classes are set to begin Aug. 19.

“The details of our plans are being determined, vetted and finalized, and the truth is that they may change,” the NMSU Ready page reads, adding that plans are subject to change in accordance with state and Centers for Disease control and prevention guidelines.

Dean Gontis, a senior studying business, said two of his professors have already informed students that they will be choosing not to return to campus. 

“It’s kind of hard to make plans,” Gontis said. “[Administration] keeps saying classes are going to be hybrid and I’m not really sure how they’re gonna work if we’re back anyway.”

Currently, NMSU said, a task force is addressing classroom spacing for social distancing while Facilities and Services is working to install sanitizing stations in each classroom.

On June 1, NMSU research moved forward into phase 3 of a well illustrated Return to Research and Creativity plan. In June, NMSU plans to finish classroom assessments and train employees returning to campus. Management is slated to be trained in July.

Following the planned return of students, information is yet to be determined according to the NMSU ready webpage.

A “last-chance” student survey was emailed to students for feedback Friday, June 12 and closes Monday.

NMSU’s neighboring institution, University of New Mexico, announced an adjusted academic calendar for the fall 2020 semester on June 11. The schedule has the last day of in-person classes slated for November 25, with instruction continuing online.

According to The Daily Lobo, first-year freshmen are not required to live on-campus due to COVID-19 for the fall semester, and students who choose campus residencies will not be allowed to have roommates.

NMSU’s next town hall to discuss progress in the reopening plans will continue this Thursday, June 18 after a break this past week.

Statewide, positive COVID-19 cases have reached 9,723. In Dona Ana county, positive cases are at 658, with 6 recorded deaths and 289 cases designated as recovered.