The Stache offers mobile dining option at NMSU

NMSU Dining

Pistol Pete stands in front of new food truck at NMSU. (Image Courtesy of NMSU Dining)

On Aug. 20, New Mexico State University Dining Services welcomed its latest dining option to campus known as The Stache, a crimson and white mobile food truck that offers burritos, drinks, snacks and more.

The Stache will stop at various campus locations throughout each day through its breakfast and lunch routes.

Candice Nanco, a manager at Sodexo at NMSU, said that having a food truck at NMSU has been something Dining Services has been looking forward to.

“The Stache is going to be helpful to the students that are on campus as well as our faculty and essential staff members that are still physically coming to campus,” Nanco said. “The Stache is coming to fruition in response to a longtime wish of our campus community to have a food truck on campus.”

Those on campus can track where The Stache is at by using a mobile device app titled “Where’s the Foodtruck?” that tracks food trucks around the country through GPS.

https://www.facebook.com/NMSUPolice/posts/3552019288162517

The COVID-19 pandemic has forced Dining Services to alter some of the ways they offer meals to students and employees such as reducing operation hours and implementing social distancing and sanitation procedures.

By traveling across campus, The Stache can offer dining options to places that didn’t have options nearby in an outdoor setting and without requiring groups of people to meet in one place.

NMSU Senior Hunter Stewart said she likes having a food truck on campus but worries about coronavirus transmission.

“I like it but if it keeps moving from spot to spot, I’m unsure how much of a good idea that could be in terms of safety. It’s still a good idea though,” Stewart said.

Stewart also said she would like to see Dining Services offer an in-depth menu with information that will be helpful for those with dietary restrictions.

“I hope they bring not just snacks but more filling for those who maybe have intolerance like one to gluten,” Stewart said.

Stewart also mentioned that she would dine at The Stache if it comes near student housing.

Dining Services said that The Stache will also be used at future catering events in addition to its daily breakfast and lunch routes.