Student flea market provides sale opportunities

“Look in your closest. If you have anything you know you haven’t used in six months, or can have a better home, bring those. You don’t always need to buy new. A little can go a long way.”
David Castañeda
Founder of For Students By Students Kiara Schroeder poses in front of the merchandise being sold during their on campus flea market on Sept. 4, 2023.

Two folding tables selling student goods is hardly a typical sight on campus. For Students By Students plans to make this unusual occurrence a campus-wide event. The organization’s first flea market took place in front of Corbett Center Student Union on Tuesday, September 5, 2023, and was a success at introducing their organization to the campus. FSBS provides a place for students to sell their handmade and used items hand-to-hand and in person through their flea market.

Kiara Schroeder, the sophomore who founded this organization, said that she was inspired to begin the flea market after seeing students selling items on Snapchat. She wondered if there was a better way for students to sell their items without scheduling or location dilemmas, and the idea of For Students By Students was born.

“We wanted a spot for students to do that and eliminate all those dilemmas, so they have a spot to sell their things and make money hand to hand and in person,” Schroeder said.

The first flea market of the year consisted of two vendors— Schroeder and fellow sophomore Athena Neeld. Their tables exhibited some of the options that were available for vendors: gently-used clothing items, courtesy of Schroeder, and 10 homemade crochet plushes, courtesy of Neeld. 

Neeld was particularly enthused by the flea market, explaining that this was her first time selling her goods to the public. She said it was an enjoyable experience, giving her the opportunity to do things such as figuring out how to price her work. When she sold all her goods, she was surprised by their positive response.  

“It gave me a lot of confidence I didn’t think I had. It gave me a lot of confidence in the quality of my work,” Neeld said.

The flea market began at 8 a.m. but the duo had a rough start, with the tables they needed locked in a supply room. Once their tables were liberated, the morning began slowly. Around 10 A.M. business picked up for the budding organization, with the most interest being in Neeld’s plushes. The flea market went on until noon.

The goal of the day was to make a little money and clear out some of their goods. By closing, Neeld had sold all but two of her plushes. Schroeder and Neeld were both happy with the turnout for the flea market.  

“I think it’s a really good avenue for a lot of people to sell their products. Sell old things they have— just anything —and just be a good community where people can make extra cash on the side,” Neeld said.  

Faculty Advisor Sonny Duong was also optimistic about the organization, expressing that he can see it growing into a campus wide event. He was approached by Schroeder early in the school year and was interested to see how it can grow within the NMSU community.  

“[FSBS is] off to a good start. They are getting the word out and getting exposure, and getting familiarity with the student body. It’s good for the student body to know that there’s an avenue for them to be a part of,” Duong remarked.   

Everyone involved in FSBS is optimistic about future events hosted by the organization, including partnering with Aggie Cupboard and the NMSU fashion show. They hope more people will get involved- and that there will be a growing interest in the organization. 

FSBS is looking to buy better tables and canopies for their vendors. Participants in the flea market are required to pay membership dues that will be used to help grow the organization. Other than dues, all money made selling items at the flea market goes straight into the seller’s pocket. All students are encouraged to get involved in flea markets and other events.  

“Look in your closest. If you have anything you know you haven’t used in six months, or can have a better home, bring those. You don’t always need to buy new. A little can go a long way,” Duong said.

View Comments (2)