Art students showcase unique pieces at annual jewelry sale

Carlos Herrera
Students peruse jewelry stands at the 41st Annual Jewelry Sale Monday, Oct. 30, 2023. The jewelry was handmade and sold by several art students.

The ability to design and craft pieces of jewelry that are truly one-of-a-kind is a skill to be honed with patience and consistency. From delicate and dainty to bold and daring, the only limit is the imagination when expressing individuality. 

The NMSU Metals club hosted the 41st Annual Jewelry Sale at New Mexico State University Bookstore on Oct. 30, 2023, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. This event was held to support the activities of students in the jewelry and metalsmithing field, as well as promote their work to the public.   

The jewelry sale held great significance for the students hosting it, as it not only allowed them to showcase their creativity and hard work, but also helped them generate funds to support their activities.  The sale provided a platform for them to display their unique and exquisite jewelry pieces to the public. Moreover, the proceeds from the sale are utilized to purchase new equipment and tools for the metals studio. 

Isabel Solorza, a Ph.D. art major specializing in metals and jewelry making, expressed her enthusiasm for the occasion.  

“This sale is a tremendous opportunity for students to gain exposure and network within the artistic community,” Solorza explained. “It’s a chance for our names to be recognized and for our skills to transition from student artwork to professional craftsmanship.” 

At the jewelry sale, students showcased a diverse range of jewelry pieces, each with its own style and character. Some parts were delicate and intricate, featuring fine details and elegant designs, while others were bold and daring, with gothic designs and even wood casings. The event offered a variety of jewelry styles to suit every taste and preference. 

Rae Legere, a studio art major, highlighted the meticulous process behind her wirework jewelry.  

“I find inspiration in the simple elegance of stars,” Legere revealed. “My designs are a reflection of this fascination, and it’s heartening to see people appreciating and engaging with my work.” 

The NMSU Metals club primarily aimed at funding the metals department, The funds raised will be divided between the artists and used to support the studio for upcoming students. The club’s president, Darcy Matthews, emphasized the community’s response, noting the substantial turnout. 

“The support and enthusiasm from the community have been phenomenal,” Matthews stated. “It’s a rewarding experience for the artists to witness such interest in their creations.” 

Throughout the journey, challenges were an integral part of the experience, presenting opportunities for growth and learning. Coordinating over a hundred unique pieces and ensuring effective promotion sometimes posed difficulties, as highlighted by Legere.  

“Organizing and promoting the event is a task in itself,” Legere stated. “However, witnessing the fruits of our labor and the community’s appreciation makes it all worthwhile.” 

Looking ahead, the club plans to continue engaging with the community through events like bake sales and additional future sales. Challenges revolving around time management and balancing creativity with practicality were noted, but the joy of collaboration and seeing the effort materialize into a successful event overshadowed these obstacles.