NM State baseball goes 2-2 with South Dakota State in opening series

Treyjen+Meza+throwing+the+first+pitch+of+the+game+against+South+Dakota+State.+Feb.+16%2C+2024.+
Carlos Herrera
Treyjen Meza throwing the first pitch of the game against South Dakota State. Feb. 16, 2024.

On the third day of a four-game series between New Mexico State baseball and South Dakota State, the Jackrabbits responded to the two losses they suffered on Friday and Saturday with an 8-5 victory over the Aggies. The Aggies looked to finish the series 3-1 but fell short in the fourth game 11-10 and are now 2-2 to begin the 2024 season. 

The Jackrabbits began the top of the first slow, striking out twice before Dawson Parry knocked one out of the park to give the Jackrabbits an early 1-0 lead. After retiring three batters, the Aggies retaliated in the bottom of the first after senior outfielder Keith Jones II scored on a throwing error by the Jackrabbits. Continuing the offensive effort, senior outfielder Preston Godfrey’s sacrifice fly brought in the Aggies third outfielder Damone Hale to the plate for the second run of the inning, giving the Aggies a 2-1 lead at the end of the first inning. 

Gianni Hornet up to bat against South Dakota State. Feb. 16, 2024. (Carlos Herrera)

The following two innings displayed a cohesive defensive performance from both teams— Aggie pitcher Lewis Hayden retired three batters while throwing only seven pitches in the top of the second, while the Aggies had the first three batters retired at the bottom of the inning.  

Despite falling to a 2-1 deficit, the Jackrabbits answered quickly when Cael Frost hit a solo homerun to even the score. At the bottom of the fourth inning, the Aggies retook the lead with a single RBI from senior catcher Nick Gore following a series of walks. 

Hayden lasted five full innings before being replaced in the top of the sixth after walking the first batter he faced. He was replaced by sophomore Cho Tofte, who only lasted one inning after the Jackrabbits turned the heat on the Aggies defense. 

In the top of the seventh, the Jackrabbits tied the game for a third time with an RBI double from Jess Bellows. With the Aggies unable to respond in the bottom half, the game went into extra innings.

Treyjen Meza upset that his pitch allowed South Dakota State to hit a homer. Feb. 16, 2024. (Carlos Herrera)

The Jackrabbits proceeded to give up two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning with a wild pitch allowed Godfrey to advance to second, while redshirt sophomore Jadon Arakaki scored the first run. Afterward, shortstop Romeo Ballesteros walked and brought in the second run of the inning. 

With the pressure on the Jackrabbits for one more opportunity to tie or take the lead in the top of the ninth, they did not disappoint. With the bases loaded, Parry hit a go-ahead grand slam and gave the Jackrabbits an 8-5 lead— one that they held onto for the win after retiring the Aggies in the bottom of the ninth inning. 

The Aggies will now hit the road to Lake Charles, Louisiana to take on McNeese for another four-game series starting Friday at 5 p.m. All updates will be posted on the official NMSU Athletics website.