Survival Guide for Freshmen

Tips to Keep in Mind as you Start your Collegiate Journey

College is one of those things that hits you out of no where and when it does, it hits hard. Which is why it is a good idea to always go in with a plan. Don’t worry freshmen, we know that you don’t have any idea what’s in store for you, but the Round Up has a few tips that will make your first year at NMSU a little easier!

Manage your time

Managing your time is probably the one tip that’s going to help you for the rest of your time in college. There are so many things get done in such a short amount of time like studying for two tests, reading for your class, homework, getting in a workout, and somewhere in between all this remembering to eat and get some sleep. It all seems impossible to get done, but this is where time management comes into play.

Whatever the case may be or whatever it is that you have to get done in a certain amount of time make sure you get the most important things done first, and don’t procrastinate. (Coffee helps when you need to that extra energy to complete your task) You can also try multi-tasking. For example, if you want to hangout with your friends, but you still need to study, you can always try asking your friends to have a homework date that way you can kill two birds with one stone.

Stay Organized

With a lot of classes comes a lot of notes and a lot of papers. Sure it’s easy to just stuff them in your backpack and leave as soon as class is over. But when you really need those notes you took last Wednesday to study for your test tomorrow you’re going to wish you had put them in a folder, but instead you have to spend 30 minutes looking through all the other papers in your backpack.  Staying organized is simple task that will make life so much easier!

• Get a five-subject notebook that you can take all your class notes in and they will all stay in one place.
  • Get a folder to save all your handouts and graded paper in
  • A binder with subject dividers is also something that you can use to stay organized
  • Planners and calendars help you stay organized and manage your time

Use the resources that we have on campus

NMSU has a lot of different resources that are in place to help students excel. For example, all students have money in their Aggie I.Ds to use on printing. So, it may be 10 minutes before class and you forgot to print out that one assignment that is due at the beginning of class, don’t worry there are many computer labs around campus that you can stop at! There are also places to check out laptops or even buses that will take from one side of town to the other. Look into the resources that NMSU offers and take advantage of them.

There’s more to college than just classes

Sure you came to NMSU to take classes and get your degree so you can get a job, but don’t forget that you’re only a freshman once! Join clubs, take the internship, go out to the football games, and enjoy your time as an Aggie.