Tips to Think About Before You Register

Jianna Vasquez

More stories from Jianna Vasquez

Dreaming at NMSU
October 10, 2017
The+entrance+of+the+University+Registrar+office+located+inside+the+Education+Services+building.+

Christian Iglesias

The entrance of the University Registrar office located inside the Education Services building.

The fall semester is winding down, but preparation for the spring semester has already begun.

Early registration began today, Nov. 9, 2017, and is open until Jan.16, 2018. Registering for classes is something that becomes easier as a students make progression through their academic career. Here are some tips for registering from students who have a couple semesters underneath their belt:

“Go to your advisor as soon as possible,” says sophomore finance major, Amber Odell. Students are not able to register for classes until they have met with their academic advisor. Meeting with an advisor ensures that students do not have any hold that can restrict them from registering for classes. When students meet with their academic advisor they should be sure to have their Star degree audit.

Odell also recommends laying out classes before the day of registration. She says that having the course registration number at hand can make registration easier and faster.

Aaron Vineyard, a junior mechanical engineering major had a simple, but very important tip for registration, “Take the classes you need.” By taking the classes you need over the classes you want can help students stay on track to graduation. Vineyard offered another tip, “If you’re in a math-based major, pay attention because math is very important.”

Along with Vineyard, Lizbeth Ascencio is another junior mechanical engineering major. Ascenio is on her second Bachelor’s degree. So registering for classes is something that she is familiar with.

“Do your research on the classes that way you take the pre-requisites,” recommended Ascencio.

Pre-requisites are the classes that are required as a prior condition to another class. Taking the pre-requisites ensures that students will be able to take the classes that are required in order for you to advance in your academics. Ascencio said that students should always trust themselves when registering for classes because only they know what fits best into their schedule.

Senior broadcast journalism major, Cristal Corrales say’s that registering early is the number one tip she has for registration.

“Classes fill up fast that way you can choose what times you prefer,” said Corrales.

Students have specific dates that they can register depending on their current classification. Classifications are determined by the completion of credits. Students who do not register on their designated date can register at any time remaining up until Jan. 18, 2018, which is the last day to add a course without an instructor’s permission.

Early registration is open until Jan. 16, 2018, and late registration begins Jan. 17, 2018. For any questions on holds or on registration, you can contact the University’s Registrar’s Office at (575)646-3411.