Spook-tacular Halloween Costumes: 2017

It’s officially socially acceptable to start planning for Halloween – decorations, Pillsbury cookies, Stranger Things season 2, fall is here and in full effect. With the holiday around the corner, more and more ideas surface of popular characters to dress-up as.

“I love seeing everyone have one day of the year to be whoever they want,” freshman, Sofia Hoskins said. “It’s so awesome for people to be comfortable, and express themselves in unique fashions.”

The best costumes are often influenced by cultural and popular media events that have occurred this year. Ranging from everything you can think of, there is no shortage in options for anyone – pregnant women, babies, dogs, big groups of friends – the ideas are endless.

“I’m really looking forward to the creative costume ideas,” freshman, Myá Willis said. “Everyone comes up with such original personas, it’s interesting to see what will be unveiled.”

With that in mind, it’s time to stop procrastinating and narrow down your options, whether it’s last minute or planned in advance – enjoying the holiday is what makes it the most fun.

“No matter what, I procrastinate until the last minute,” freshman, Mikayela Montoya said. “But, this year I decided to pick it earlier – and I actually like what I got this year.”

Depending on the event you’ll be attending, the costume may be crucial, so choose wisely as to where and when your costume(s) will be appropriate.  To help with the costume confusion, NMSU students gave some ideas on what may be seen across campus – for all occasions, from staying in with friends, to trick or treating with siblings, to house parties, there’s a costume for everyone.

Kid/Family Friendly:

• Wonder Woman, from the Justice League
  • Spiderman
  • Groot, from Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Eleven, from ‘Stranger Things’
  • Belle, from Beauty and the Beast
  • Coraline
  • Rick or Morty, from ‘Rick and Morty’
  • Corpse Bride
  • Deadpool, from Marvel
  • Wildlife Animals (deers, lions, monkeys, etc.)
  • Presidential Candidates
  • Tiffany Valentine (Chucky doll’s wife)

Going out Friendly:

• Pennywise, from the movie “IT”
  • Cleopatra (egyptian)
  • Inflatable T-Rex
  • “Valak”, the nun from The Conjuring 2
  • Blackswan
  • Freddy vs Jason (morphed together)
  • Hugh Hefner or his, “Playboy” bunny
  • The “naughty” version of any costume
  • Sugarskull