Horrific Escape Room Teaches Dangers of Drunk Driving

Photo Courtesy of wave.nmsu.edu.

Photo Courtesy of wave.nmsu.edu.

The Wellness, Alcohol, and Violence Education Program, or WAVE, conducted an escape room that focused on the dangers of drunk driving to inform students of the unfortunate, common problem. From Oct. 24-26, students were welcome to attend anytime between 6 p.m.-10 p.m. at the activity center. Once there, students were encouraged to sign up in groups consisting of four to six people.

A lot of creativity and hard work went into creating an engaging escape room that would keep students on their toes as well as inform them about the dangers of drunk driving. Tiffany Tyson, a health education specialist for WAVE, came up with the idea to create this activity.

“I brought up the idea at the beginning of August, however we didn’t do that much with it at the time. But, in the beginning of October, we really started working on it. So, it took us basically the whole month of October to plan for it. And then it took us the whole day of October 24 to set up. We’re hoping it’s a success and if it is we’ll probably do another one next year,” Tyson said.

Tyson also exercised her experience in theatre to create the story behind the escape room: A college-aged boy goes to a party where there are drinks available. Seeing the opportunity, he intakes as much alcoholic beverages as he can. However, he decides to go out driving with his friends, while intoxicated. His ill-conceived decision then causes him and his friends to die in a car accident.

This story is repeated to students who enter a darkened room that is an exact replica of the place where the boy got drunk.

They then have less than 15 minutes to solve a set of riddles before the friends, now turned zombies, attack. According to some volunteers, only 2 groups have managed to complete the escape room since its opening.

This story is repeated to students who enter a darkened room that is an exact replica of the place where the boy got drunk. They then have less than 15 minutes to solve a set of riddles before the friends, now turned zombies, attack. According to some volunteers, only 2 groups have managed to complete the escape room since its opening.

Many students waited in line with hopes to conquer the escape room. Fortunately, WAVE made it so that waiting around wouldn’t be so boring. In their office, they created a waiting room in which students could play board games, eat popcorn, and have their faces painted like zombies, if they wanted.

Victoria Del Toro, a newcomer to escape rooms, said, “I’m nervous to go into this, because if someone jumps me I’m going to end up punching them in the face.” Toro also offered her opinion on WAVE’s use of an escape room to educate students on drunk driving.

“I think that it was a smart idea, because while you’re under pressure it’s more likely to stick to you.”
Another student, Sarah Oliver, also shared her opinion on WAVE’s clever use of an escape room to communicate the dangers of drunk driving.

“I think it’s a really good thing, because it’s something that we need to learn, especially as college students. I think it’s very important for people to know to not drink and drive because it’s not just you paying for it, it’ll be someone else paying for your mistake,” Oliver said.

If students were not able to participate this year, they will have a chance to go experience the educational escape room next year.