ASNMSU Senate Elections Begin Next Week

Senate elections are set to begin next week, Monday, Nov. 6, and the candidates from all seven colleges are gearing up for what is likely going to be an interesting race. 

The first college to discuss is the College of Arts and Science.  Within the college, there are five seats available for election.  Along with that, there are three sitting Senators attempting to retain their seats.  The first is Delorean Forbes, the senior most member of Senate, and the Senate Pro-Tempore.  The second is Sante Guajardo, a Senator that has been part of Senate since the spring of 2016.  Finally Taylor Hartshorne, a Senator that was appointed earlier in the semester to fill a vacant seat. 

Competing with these incumbents for their seats are Taven Joseph and Yoshito Washi.

In the College of Business there is one seat available for election.  The individuals competing for this seat are Harley Rogers, Angel Renee Salcido, Maria Victoria Makk, and Nicolas Barnhouse.  There are no incumbents running for reelection.

In the college of Engineering, there are two seats available for election.  The individuals running for those seats are Valeria Carrillo, a current sitting Senator, and David Elver, a current sitting Senator that has been serving for a semester. 

Moving to the College of Education, there are two seats available for election.  The individuals running for those seats are Emily Beker, and Wesley Don Juan Reynolds.  Much like the College of Business, there are no incumbents running for reelection.

In the College of Health and Social Services, there is one seat available for election.  The individuals running for this seat are Christopher Olsson and Rachel Weatherby.  There are no incumbents running for reelection within the college.

Similar to the College of Health and Social Services, there is one seat available for election within the College of Agriculture Consumer and Environmental Sciences.  The individuals running for this seat are Kristie Gallacher and Rachel Weatherby.  Again, there are no incumbents running reelection within the College of ACES.

The last but definitely not least is the Graduate College.  With the largest candidate pool, competing for so few seats, the Graduate race will be the most competitive race for the fall elections. 

There are three seats available for election.  Within the Graduate College, there are six individuals campaigning to obtain these seats.  There are two incumbents campaigning to retain their seats.  The first is Ehtesham Shareef, a senior Senator in the Graduate College and the current Sergeant at Arms for the Senate.  The second is Ahmed De Alba Garza an incumbent graduate senator pursuing a degree Mathematics with a minor in Risk Management. 

Competing with the incumbents for their seats are Befekadu Habteyes, Ankith Nadella, Sayed Kaes Maruf Hossain, and Seyed Ali Seyekayoosi. 

Senate campaigning began on October 10 with voting opening Monday November 6.