Corbett Center Facelift Nears Finish

More stories from Stephanie Frisch

Corbett+Center+has+received+paint+and+stucco+improvements+to+the+exterior.++

Zack Jimenez

Corbett Center has received paint and stucco improvements to the exterior.

Many students may have noticed the ongoing repairs on the Corbett Center Student Union. The latest renovation began in 2014. Two years later, and more construction is being done to make sure that Corbett can keep up with NMSU’s needs.

“The construction work that is occurring on the exterior of Corbett Center is considered ‘repair’” said Ophelia Watkins, the Director of Auxiliary Operations for Corbett.

Most of the work that students may notice outside Corbett is done to extend the building’s life, and to make the building look more attractive.

“The scope of the work includes repair to the exterior stucco, paint on some exterior window frames, steel frames and handrails, concrete landing and stair replacement at the east and north entrances and new lettering on the exterior of the building” Watkins explained.

According to Watkins, the major renovations that were finished almost two years ago made the biggest difference for Corbett.

“That renovation resulted in seven new technology equipped study rooms, the Aggie Lounge with quad-screen TV’s, a game room with pool tables, air hockey tables, foosball and ping pong tables, new office space for student services related groups including ASNMSU, Campus Activities, Dean of Students, Tutoring Center and Student Accessibility Services” Watkins said.

These changes have made Corbett a more student friendly center, by offering various spaces for group studying, or just hanging out.

The funding for all of the additions to Corbett came from a bond, that NMSU will have to pay back over time. The bond which covered all the renovations, and is being used for exterior work that is currently in progress, totals about $15 million.

The outside repairs are expected to be finished in December 2017, and though the repairs are not as extravagant as the last ones, the facelift to Corbett’s exterior might improve its entire outward appearance.