NMSU students find newly-instilled pride in football team

Aimee Ryan

More stories from Aimee Ryan

New Mexico State looks to build off of an Arizona Bowl victory during the offseason strength training program.

Christian Iglesias

Christian Iglesias

The New Mexico State Football team made history on December 2 by defeating the University of South Alabama Jaguars, making them eligible to play in a college bowl for the first time since 1960. Not only did this victory unleash lots of pride in New Mexico State students – it also granted them the opportunity to watch their Aggies take on the Utah State Aggies in the 2017 Arizona Bowl on December 29 in Tucson, Ariz.

Immediately following the clock running out on that Saturday night, students rushed onto the field in Aggie Memorial Stadium, a moment many students never imagined experiencing.

Jazmine Stack, a junior majoring in geography, was a spirited spectator the night the Aggies made history. She explained that her voice had been missing for several days after the win.

“I never thought in my college career I would be able to rush the field – but when the Aggies won, it [rushing] was an awesome and united moment,” Stack explained when describing the victorious atmosphere.

Freshman Natalie Michels described witnessing the sight of students rushing the field as a bucket list moment in terms of her college experience.

Michels has several friends on the football team and said that when she got to the field, her friends were ecstatic to have won. “They picked me up, hugged me, and spun me around,” Michels said.

Students have been able to reflect on the improvements the team made all season long which finally payed off by the Aggies defeating South Alabama and becaming bowl eligible.

After attending the game versus South Alabama, junior Cam Stihel is thrilled for the team to head to the bowl after finishing a good season he claims. Like Michels, Stihel also is friends with several football players and says that “they stepped up their training this season,”

Estrella Gomez said she was proud to see this football team end the nearly six-decade bowl drought.

“I think it means the most as a senior to see history being made. It is exciting to see where they are now as compared to my freshmen year,” Gomez explained on the win.

Eager from the win in early December, students like Jazmine Stack are now on the hunt for Arizona Bowl tickets so they can head west towards the bowl at the end of the month.

Stack said, “It is coming down to what I can cut in my budget to get my tickets. Do I want to be in nose bleeds? Do I want to be right there in the front?” She is also getting with friends to possibly configure carpool rides to cut costs even further – regardless, Stack wants to guarantee her seat.

Estrella Gomez, a member of the Pride of the New Mexico, is also eager to watch the Aggies take on the Utah State Aggies at the end of December.

“I hope it [Arizona Bowl] is a really good game. Utah State is the same team we played at the Sun Bowl 57 years ago.” Gomez said.

Stack concludes, “Us as Aggies will be always be friends and support our football team.”

Aimee Ryan, Staff Writer
Aimee Ryan is returning for her second year as a staff writer and is a sophomore majoring in counseling and community psychology. NMSU has always been her choice of school even before she graduated from Cobre High School in Bayard, New Mexico in 2017.

Her journey so far at NMSU has taught her so much and has exposed her to many opportunities within a short amount of time. She has found herself at home here at The Round Up and through NMSU’s Counseling and Educational Psychology department. Before NMSU, she was a high school cheerleader, a student council member, and an honors student. Aside from being a staff writer, she is the secretary of NMSU’s Counseling Undergraduate Society and has her eyes on becoming a school psychologist in the future.

Ryan enjoys her job because she always learns something new about her school and loves the team she works with. Her favorites stories that she’s written include “NMSU students find newly-instilled pride in football team,” and “New Mexico State officially identifies two-finger pistol as school-spirit hand sign”. During her freshmen year, she mainly covered stories concerning student life. This year, she will be mainly covering stories involving news around the College of Education and the College of Engineering.

Aside from her life as a student, Ryan enjoys being with her family, friends, and pets, being outdoors, traveling, reading, listening to music, and engaging in other hobbies.
1 Comment

One Response to “NMSU students find newly-instilled pride in football team”

1. Nunu on December 11th, 2017 7:38 pm

Very good job Aimee. Very proud of you. Love Nunu

• NMSU students find newly-instilled pride in football team

Halloween costume ideas for the NMSU couple

National Pizza Month: Top 5 pizza parlors near NMSU

Spooky SZN: The Descent

Gary Johnson visits NMSU

NMSU Pride band sports new uniforms

NMSU freshmen suffer housing overflow

Inventor walks away from Aggie Shark Tank with over $10,000

New York City artist’s exhibit comes to NMSU

ACES college pushes for Go Bond D

Art project pastes students on campus