NMSU faculty spurned with only one representative on chancellor search committee

The committee for the search for the new chancellor of New Mexico State University has already drawn criticism from many of the faculty of the University. 

Although the 19-member search committee, which was finalized on November 13, 2017, is comprised of many distinguished individuals with strong reputations in their respective fields, there still seems to be a lack of representation from one section of NMSU.  Out of all the members, only one faculty senate member of NMSU was chosen.  There has been negative feedback surrounding this decision for many reasons, including the fact that two students, ASNMSU president Kevin Prieto, and graduate student Raymond Berry, are a part of the committee.

“[The regents] argue that they have all the sectors represented, they argue that alumni from various departments can represent the sectors, and I just strongly disagree,” said Dr. Christopher Brown, chair of the faculty senate.

In a report written by Dr. Brown and published on Nov. 2, 2017, there were five faculty senate members nominated and submitted to the Board of Regents to be considered for a spot on the chancellor search committee, yet only Professor Steve Stochaj of the school of electrical and computer engineering was chosen.

“There is quite a bit of pressure on me as the only faculty member on the search committee.  I believe the ideal number is probably two, but I recognize the Board’s desire to keep the committee small while keeping participation broad,” said Professor Stochaj.

Another concerning aspect of the finalized search committee surrounds the fact that the chair of the faculty senate was not included in the committee, compared to the past two executive search committees, where the chair was included as a member.

Stochaj, as the sole representation of NMSU’s faculty, represents a 1/9 figure in terms of the 9 total internal members.  This figure also represents a 66% decrease in faculty representation from the most recent executive search committee.

“Combined, [faculty] represent tens of thousands of years of experience, and we should be at the table,” said Dr. Brown.

NMSU’s board of regents did, in fact, seek the input of the faculty senate chair and of many other entities that were not chosen in the final decision.  The regents argue that the entire state of New Mexico is being represented.  However, there is still growing agreement that this was not the right choice.  The fact that the University of New Mexico (UNM) has created an executive search committee with seven faculty members for their own search for a full-time president has sparked even more controversy.

Dr. Brown explained that it is crucial to focus on maintaining public interaction and shared governance between the leadership of the university and the students.  He strongly believes that students and university leadership, along with faculty, should be able to sit at the table together and govern the university.

The board assured in a statement after the committee names were released that the best interests of the university are being considered, yet the search committee has yet to be convened, says Dr. Brown.

“I’ve been extremely vocal with the regents that they have inadequate representation of faculty in the search committee, and they disagree,” said Dr. Brown.  He explained that he has asked the regents three times so far to reconsider the decision.

Although the disappointment among many is clear, individuals like Dr. Brown have faith in Professor Stochaj and his ability to vocalize the interests of the university’s faculty in the best way possible.  As an institution, NMSU has a role in regard to all of New Mexico, which is why the search for a new leader is now more important than ever before.