Intramurals offers wide range of sports to keep New Mexico State students active and involved

NMSUs+Activity+Center.+Pic+courtesy+of+nmsu.edu.+

NMSU’s Activity Center. Pic courtesy of nmsu.edu.

Intramural sports are a fun and active way for students to interact with each other within the New Mexico State University campus. 

NMSU offers a variety of sports for the students to take part in. With the new school year starting, there will be new sports offered.  

There will be opportunities to play wallyball, racquetball, basketball, 4×4 flag football, dodgeball (Tuesdays), tennis, futsal (indoor soccer), softball, team handball, grass volleyball, kickball and spike ball.  

“It is important to get involved in intramural sports because it gives you a chance to make friends that you might’ve not met otherwise,” Director of Intramural Sports Marcus Moser said. “It’s a great way to connect with people which could lead to networking possibilities in the future. It’s good to have an hour or two to just get away, have some fun, and get a little exercise.”   

Moser said with the amount of intramural sports offered this semester, the department will need more referees, which provides an opportunity for on-campus employment for NMSU students.

“We have a good number but I would like a handful more,” Moser said. “It creates flexibility on my end to be able to schedule. I can’t always give people consistent hours, but if you’re looking for a couple of hours a week and want some extra money, this may be the job for you,” Moser said.  

If you are wanting to apply for this position, Moser’s office is located inside the James Delameter Activity Center, or email him at [email protected]

Students can sign up for intramural sports at www.imleagues.com/NMSU. The first-round signup date is Jan. 17 and the second-round sign up date is Mar.12. Both of the deadlines are the week before the last regular week of the season. 

Moser said intramural sports are so important for him and students looking to find ways to stay active in college, especially if they played competitively at the high school level and need something to scratch that competitive itch.

“When I was in school I didn’t have a lot of focus and then I started getting involved with intramurals and it gave me almost like an outlet, it helped me find a direction in what I wanted to do in life. I realized I loved it so much that I wanted to pursue a career in it, and I was fortunate enough to find this job here at NMSU.” 

Anthem Furth, a senior at NMSU, who has been playing intramurals since sophomore year admitted he will be heavily involved in intramurals this semester.

“I will be playing basketball, futsal, and softball this semester,” Furth said. “I really love intramurals, there’s still competition in the sports without it being too overly competitive. I like that you don’t have to be good at the sports in order to play it, you can just have fun and enjoy it.”

Furth said that his favorite thing about intramurals is the soccer because it is competitive yet affordable.

“Intramurals really give me an opportunity to do what I love and do it for free,” said Furth.