ASNMSU Senate holds first meeting of 2018

ASNMSU held their first meeting of 2018 last Thursday, where they presented budget updates, reports and announcements from committees, councils and the executive departments.

Thursday’s meeting opened up with an update from Michael Jasek, the Dean of Students, on his investigation into student organizations being charged for utilizing Corbett center. Jasek reported to the senate that he will continue to seek solutions to this fee nuisance.

In other petitions, a representative from the Domenici Institute, a program which allows student panelists to address state and nationwide issues, promoted this year’s application for the 2018 student panelist program.

DeLorean Forbes, the Pro-Tempore of ASNMSU was recognized as the 2017 Scholar for the Domenici Institute.

The executive department presented detailed accounts and updated the senate on the Law book, student services, and activities. A brief update on the law book was presented by Attorney General, Mason Quinones, who presented modifications on the election code and errors he fixed within it. Jan Bonestroo, Director of services, presented a rundown of the number of students using ASNMSU services such as Pete’s Pickup, free Scantrons, and Crimson Cab.

As far as this semester’s activities, Director of Community Outreach, Adrian Llanez presented a calendar of upcoming important dates with high hopes for turn out at events such as the Big Event, a community service project,

Applications for The Big Event open Feb. 26.

Furthermore, Llanez addressed an ongoing charity program to raise funds for Puerto Rico. This fundraiser will collect non-perishable foods and other items throughout the month of February.

Kevin Prieto, President of ASNMSU, shared announcements regarding DACA applications and alcohol at student events. Prieto also outlined the action points he hopes to prioritize for his last semester in office, and updated the senate on the Lottery scholarship issue in Santa Fe.

Earlier this January, Prieto was lobbying on behalf of the Aggies in Santa Fe. He shared some of his experiences from urging the separation of the rate of the Lottery scholarship from tuition fluctuation. Prieto also stated that UNM has been somewhat self-willed rather than collaborative in the struggle for Financial Aid.

In other business discussed on Thursday Evening, committees and college councils recapped January meetings, discussed budgets and shared upcoming meeting times.

During the college council reports, the Graduate Senate predicted they will run out of money in their budget in the next one to two months.

Contrastingly, the Special Events Committee has an extra $30,000 in their budgets which they hope to spend on activities for students.

Regarding “Business on the President’s desk,” account balances were presented and announcements were made by the President of the senate, Emerson Morrow, as well as from Forbes, The President Pro-Tempore, Faculty state representative, and chief senate clerk.

Following the President’s business, two bills were passed. Bill number 120, regarding NMSU’s Model United Nations club allowed the club to serve food at their meetings. Bill number 125 covered the cost of two students community service airfare costs.

Finally, the meeting wrapped up with bill and resolution readings, unfinished business and various announcements.