NMSU students use Buti yoga to de-stress

Picture+courtesy+of+Creative+Commons.+

Picture courtesy of Creative Commons.

With midterms quickly approaching, students at New Mexico State University may be looking to de-stress with events offered by Corbett Student Union like Glow in the Dark Buti Yoga. The yoga event held on February 27, 2018 in the Corbett Center Ballrooms, proved to be a beneficial opportunity for students to both relax and get their mind off responsibilities and commitments.

A more soulful and cardio-driven version of yoga, Buti yoga is a growing alternative to other forms of exercise. With an emphasis in structured, high-paced movements, Buti yoga can be considered an edgier form of traditional yoga. Yet the Buti yoga that took place on Tuesday had a bright twist; students who participated at the free event were surrounded by black lights and wore glow in the dark jewelry while following the Buti yoga movements.

“[Buti yoga] is meant as the opposite to regular yoga classes. Instead of sitting still and thinking, it’s meant to get you out of your head and into your body with primal movements and cardio-intensive tribal dances,” said Ceara Caisido, a professional yoga instructor and NMSU alumnae, who has been teaching Buti yoga for nearly two years.

Caisido agrees that yoga is growing in popularity as an alternative to other forms of exercise, but explained that Buti yoga specifically has special benefits, including the fact that it is an all-over body workout. She emphasizes the idea that as a society, people are staying still now more than ever, and because of this, Buti yoga is the perfect way to stop people from slouching in their chairs and start standing up tall.

Buti yoga and other kinds of soulful physical exercise might be popular among collegiate students, especially due to their inclusivity in the sense that it is a type of exercise that is not restricted by talent or difficulty level. It is all about both body positivity and building confidence to the point where people are physically and mentally transformed.

“It’s a great way to keep students active and have a social aspect, and ultimately allow them to do something healthy,” said junior Paxton Nikkila. Nikkila explained how she believes yoga is definitely growing, especially with the current generation focusing more on fitness and health. Students like senior Ashlyn Wagoner encourage embracing the social aspect of yoga and other forms of group fitness.

With exercise like Buti yoga, those who want to stay fit can truly get the best of both worlds when it comes to both the physical and spiritual aspect. There is more to come in the world of yoga, and it is coming full speed.