Delta Zeta to host spring philanthropy “Hike for Hearing

Photo courtesy of NMSU Delta Zeta

Photo courtesy of NMSU Delta Zeta

The Gamma Xi chapter of Delta Zeta is preparing for their spring philanthropy event, Hike for Hearing. This event will bring students, friends, and family to Las Cruces’ A-Mountain for a hike on Saturday, March 10 in hopes of raising money and awareness for the Starkey Hearing Foundation.

This Saturday, participants, including the members of Delta Zeta at New Mexico State University, will hike to the top of A-Mountain as a sign of reaching new heights with their philanthropic efforts. At the bottom of the mountain, participants will also be able to watch as a few of the members preform the Delta Zeta national creed, in sign language.

Delta Zeta, as a national sorority, supports the Starkey Hearing Foundation as their official national philanthropy. The Starkey Hearing Foundation is an organization whose purpose is to give the gift of hearing to those in need in more than 100 countries. The foundation donates and fits hearing aids, and hopes to give the “gift of hearing, so the world may hear”. 

The Delta Zeta chapter at New Mexico State University has been hosting Hike for Hearing for nearly four years, and throughout this time they have continuously supported its philanthropy of speech and hearing. 

“What makes Hike for Hearing special for me is the fact that we are raising money for such an amazing cause. I think that my favorite part is when we get to the top of the mountain and you get to see the amazing view, and for me, it’s a point of realization about what we as a chapter were able to accomplish,” said Delta Zeta’s philanthropy chair Anna Duran.

Hike for Hearing has grown in strength through word of mouth, and through the community’s appreciation of Delta Zeta’s philanthropic mission. This year, Red Bull will be sponsoring the event in hopes of reaching out to more groups of people, and spreading the word even further.

Those who participate in the hike up to the top of A-Mountain may consider the event a fun event with good intentions, but for the members of Delta Zeta, it means much more than taking photos at the top of A-Mountain and proving to others that they can hike to the top.

“We hike to show our love and support towards [Starkey Hearing], that offers so much hope to so many individuals,” said senior member and former president of Delta Zeta, Marikka Temple.

For the members of Delta Zeta at NMSU, their passion for helping others is highlighted through their supportive efforts towards the Starkey Hearing Foundation with events like Hike for Hearing. Hike for Hearing will take place this Saturday, March 10 at 10 a.m. Tickets are seven dollars, with all proceeds going towards the efforts at the Starkey Hearing Foundation.

Camila Mota, Political Writer
Camila Mota is a second year Finance major, and an International Baccalaureate graduate from Orlando, FL. She is treasurer of the Delta Zeta sorority and will be a staff writer at The Round Up this year. Camila was an editor at her high school’s newspaper and soon became the publication’s content manager. She was also...